Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Handles rant

Kevin Dean

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1413812037' post='2582163']

And you are to be applauded. I like stuff to look pretty - it's in my nature.

It also shows that the builder takes pride in it, too.
[/quote]i quite agrre but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some of thise TKS cabs look great, while the slant fronted ones look like my old Dansette record player. One piece of retro I don't want to see again. However if they sound better than anything else I would buy them. Of course other eyes and ears are available.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1413827623' post='2582474']
I can honestly say that in 50 years of gigging no one has ever commented on the look of my cabs and I've owned quite a few in that time.
[/quote]

In 20 years of gigging, it hasn't really happened to me before, so it surprised me, too. It's a nice thing to hear.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1413816820' post='2582247']
I didn't realise how much cheaper the TKS cabs were. I had to go back and make sure I'd done the conversion right.

I'm still buying Bergantino but that's not what this thread is about.
[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1413821572' post='2582363']
Yep - tonal preference aside, a BF cab will undoubtedly go louder than the equivalent TKS (and I'm guessing Berg).
[/quote]

that does look good price wise.... anyone know who makes the drivers TKS use?

Guest monsterthompson

I can honestly say that in 50 years of gigging no one has ever commented on the look of my cabs and I've owned quite a few in that time.
[/quote]
Hartke aluminum? Markbass? Those will snag an eyeball.

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1413831367' post='2582549']
Hartke aluminum? Markbass? Those will snag an eyeball.
[/quote]

Have to admit, never owned those. Used a Hartke kick back once and thought it was rubbish, no bass at all, plenty of mids though, in fact, nothing but mid regardless of the eq. No one commented. Yellow speakers? No thanks, not for me.

Edited by bertbass

[/quote]

I've had quite a few comments on the size of the stack if that counts as looks...

[/quote]

I have had people comment on both my guitar and bass gear, and the only common factor in those has been sparkly grille cloth. It looks good under stage lights and people seem to like it.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Nobody, but nobody has ever commented on my rig. They comment about the band, yes all the time, the basses very very occasionally*, but not the rig. Apart from the rest of the band, when we're loading and unloading. Then they say "I'll carry your cab, you take my kick drum/PA cab/combo...". All the time. :D

* "They look weird, you want to get one of those Fenders, mate..." said by punter looking at my Dingwall and Shuker... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1413893812' post='2583189']
"They look weird, you want to get one of those Fenders, mate..." said by punter looking at my Dingwall and Shuker... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

So quaint that the gig-going public still think of Fender as the last word in bass design...
...mind you, so did I - until I discovered BC. :rolleyes: And GAS.

people comment about my barefaced super15 all the time, and its still my favourite cab.

ive given up trying to keep feet attached to the bottom and it currently just tips a bit forward and one of the corners has fallen off.

definitely gets more damaged when compared to other cabs ive taken on tour.

it dont baby my gear, but i dont throw it around, but carrying something fairly big up and down stairs every night or through narrow doors and corridors, or when loading it into the van with the other gear, its impossible not to knock it, so ive lost little chunks of wood and paint etc over the years

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1413898496' post='2583283']
Are you saying that it [b][i]isn't[/i][/b]?!?! :o :huh:
[/quote]

Uhh... to be honest I'm confused about it. Very much enjoying my 'new' SB-2 and that's an old design... but I'd have a Dingwall too, if I could afford it. And I'm still missing my 76P, which obviously is a 57 design, so... blah.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413899418' post='2583299']
Uhh... to be honest I'm confused about it. Very much enjoying my 'new' SB-2 and that's an old design... but I'd have a Dingwall too, if I could afford it. And I'm still missing my 76P, which obviously is a 57 design, so... blah.
[/quote]

It's all good... old basses are good, new basses are good, all basses are good :) ... well apart from ricks obviously they're sh*t :mellow: