Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Handles rant

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1413898916' post='2583291']
Crikey! You must be rough on gear! :o ;)
[/quote]

I'm about 40 gigs in with my Compact. Nothing missing, nothing broken, a bit of paint scraped on a couple of edges, that's it. Doesn't have a cover, either.

Maybe it's in too good nick, that's why nobody comments on it...? :D

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1413909996' post='2583505']
Every bass and every cab and every amp is 5h1t. Otherwise there would be no Basschat :)
[/quote] srsly. you should see TB ;)

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1413827274' post='2582467']
Some of thise TKS cabs look great, while the slant fronted ones look like my old Dansette record player. One piece of retro I don't want to see again.
[/quote]

Phew - thought it was just me!

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1413827274' post='2582467']
i quite agrre but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some of thise TKS cabs look great, while the slant fronted ones look like my old Dansette record player. One piece of retro I don't want to see again. However if they sound better than anything else I would buy them. Of course other eyes and ears are available.
[/quote]

Thankfully Tommy will build black boxes (or something funkier with a plain black grille) if that's what you prefer - it'll cost less, too.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1413898916' post='2583291']

Crikey! You must be rough on gear! :o ;)
[/quote]

You should see his bass, I'm surprised the thing is in one piece.

My can is still in next to new condition after over a year of taking it to every rehearsal and gig, I have no cover for it either.
And I haven't "babied" mine really either.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1414397316' post='2588788']

You should see his bass, I'm surprised the thing is in one piece.

My can is still in next to new condition after over a year of taking it to every rehearsal and gig, I have no cover for it either.
And I haven't "babied" mine really either.
[/quote]

I still feel guilty about putting my bass stand next to your cab's grille in the car boot that time - hope I didn't scratch it. I'm so used to cabs having covers I didn't even think about it :-(

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1412778554' post='2571951']
... because Alex Claber is the speaker prophet-messiah-guru-ghandi and can do no wrong.
[/quote]

I was catching up on the trhead, and I was surprised not to find your name... but here you were, so predictable! :P

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1413816820' post='2582247']
I didn't realise how much cheaper the TKS cabs were. I had to go back and make sure I'd done the conversion right.
[/quote]

I also had to recheck...

Although a fairer comparison would be with the H212, not the S212 cab...

Barefaced Big Twin - 22.5kg - £999
Bergantino CN212 - 20.8kg - 1000
TKS S212 - 21kg - £412
TKS H212 - 21kg - £608

which is still a lot cheaper... and, crucially, you could get it in red, I repeat, RED covering, for a mere £30 extra! ;)

The TKS range looks very attractive. If they perform anything close to the equivalent BF cabs (which I am personally very happy with, and surprised at how much air one can move with a very light and portable setup), BF will have a tough fight in their hands...

I wanted to try a TKS earlier this year, but did not manage to, and found someone with a BF BB2 that I could test... and I bought one as I liked it a lot.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1413893812' post='2583189']
* "They look weird, you want to get one of those Fenders, mate..." said by punter looking at my Dingwall and Shuker... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

:lol:

At least those are relatively obscure to non-bassists.... but I once got a similar comment about my Stingray. We were second to last band at a village hall type of event, and after we finished I went to the bar to get a drink. A guy started talking to me about the band, and then said something about my "little bass". I had just bought it, so I was happy to talk about my Stingray. :) Then he said something about how it was ok, but one day I should try a proper bass, and how he used to play in a band and had a Fender Precision, with a pause that I presume was inviting me to say "really, you played a Fender? wooow". But I didn't. I just gave him a brief history lesson about Leo Fender's companies after he left Fender :lol:. Of course, I had to say that "the Stingray was obviously an attempt to improve and update the Precision, ner ner ner". Well, ok, without ner ner ner... And no, I don't believe the Stingray is an updated anything, but I had to try to make him feel a bit foolish now :lol:

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1412852189' post='2572636']

No manufacturer has ever offered me a new handle because the old one broke but I read that Alex has offered to replace broken handles FOC. I call that supreme after sales service above and beyond the call of duty and still people have got it in for Alex. I just don't get it!
[/quote]

Only just spotted this - I have to say that in all honesty every manufacturer that I've contacted about damaged or worn handles has sent me free replacements.

Euphonic, SWR, Aguilar and Eden from what I remember :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1414535873' post='2590516']

Only just spotted this - I have to say that in all honesty every manufacturer that I've contacted about damaged or worn handles has sent me free replacements.

Euphonic, SWR, Aguilar and Eden from what I remember :)
[/quote]
You mean other amp manufacturer's handles break?? Surely not!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1414541231' post='2590586']

Those EA handles are good quality leather jobs too :)
[/quote]

Lovely thick leather with internal reinforcing metal strip. I know this because the leather tended to disintegrate over time due to the weight of the combo :-(

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1414542708' post='2590596']
You mean other amp manufacturer's handles break?? Surely not!
[/quote]

Any of the grab handle types will wear out over time. My Euphonic had been gigged a lot by me & the stitching on the leather handle had started to unravel. It was still perfectly usable but by OCD nature meant I wanted a smart new one. I offered to pay but Euphonic just sent me a free replacement.

The SWR & Eden were both 90's cabs that had seen a lot of wear and had surface damage. The other one was actually Ampeg & not Aguilar and that was even older than the SWR & Eden - it had been sitting in a garage unused since the mid 80's and various bits had rusted up & were looking tatty.

I'd expect stuff to start wearing out & showing damage after heavy use over many years but it's great when the builders want to help by replacing bits & bobs for free rather than charging and/or causing a fuss :)

I'd expect handles to be an issue on heavier boxes.
My Bergs are around 14kgs and they are fine but
you have an odd shape box and a strap handle and you expect it to wear.
The lighter the box, the less it should the issue
altho poor design can be a question of un-neccesary loads and stresses

I've always liked proper handles not straps anyway, but for light boxes, straps
should perfectly adequate