Why become a member? ×

Reason 8 - launched today!

Skol303

You might be aware that I'm a Reason fanboy ;)

So for me, Christmas has come early with the release of Reason version 8!

First impressions: frickin' great. New interface; new drag'n'drop function; and most excitingly for me - a pair of new Softube amp sims (did I mention that I'm a Softube fanboy too!?).

So yeah. Happy me.

Here's a link to the goodness for any other Reason users:

http://www.propellerheads.se

I'll post some clips of those amp sims next chance I get. Assuming I don't forget through being stupefied by excitement :) [gurgles...]

It strikes me as not offering very much at all to make me part with my money. Drag'n'drop surely doesn't set anyone's heart racing, the new interface doesn't actually look any different, and amp sims are similarly not things to get me worked up, when you can combine so many of the other things in Reason to create an interesting sound. But, hey, convince me otherwise and I'll cough up.

Yup. You can download it here:

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/tryreason/

(I'm fairly sure this links to Reason 8 - but check the filename as its downloading).

Once downloaded, make a backup of your current Reason folder (or just rename it to something like Reason2). Then install the demo version as usual. It's fully functional (fnar!) other than you can't re-open saved files.

Bear in mind I'm running it on Mac - so check the installation instructions if you're on PC to make sure you don't over-write your current Reason folder. If so I absolve myself of all responsibility ;)

Same applies to the rack extensions (plug-ins). You can demo them in full for up to 30 days.

Thanks. I've installed it, and it looks a bit different, but no actual difference in functionality, that I can see. The drag and drop is quite nice, granted. And the new amp sims aren't included, that I can work out, so I can't assess those. The Line 6 ones were pretty poor, so I'm sure the Softube ones are much better.

One good thing about Reason is it always costs the same to upgrade, no matter hopw many versions you jump. So I'll wait for 9, I think, and jump then.

As an update, it seems great. As a new version, that has to be paid for, I don't think it's worth it.

Edited by Zenitram

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1412107246' post='2565780']
As an update, it seems great. As a new version, that has to be paid for, I don't think it's worth it.
[/quote]

True enough.

If you're interested, you can demo the new amp sims by downloading them on a trial basis from the Rack Extension area of the store.

I've been waiting for these Softube sims for some time (having tinkered with them on a friend's Ableton set up) and they're very nice. Worth the upgrade price alone? Perhaps not. But a nice bonus :)

I always find upgrades (usually) worth it (Cubase for me since dot),
apart new toys and extras, there are many (some) bug fixes under the hood,
or even performance enhancements. The down side of not upgrading is that the
vendors don't usually do patch fixes, or very little for the previous version(s).

I am just a DAW whore. :D

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1412170692' post='2566407']I am just a DAW whore. :D[/quote]

You and me both mate!

Weirdly... or perhaps not weirdly at all... I find that Reason 8 uses no more processing power than Reason 4, despite it now having considerably more 'oomph' under the hood. Lean programming I suppose.

It's always been a very stable piece of software - probably because it's self-contained with its own plug-in format (in some ways a disadvantage as much as it is an advantage, it could be argued).

I also have a copy of Ableton (the light version), which came bundled with an audio interface, and Maschine - both of which are great. And I've often considered adding Logic to my toolbox.

But then I've come to know Reason very well and find it's best to stick with the devil you know. After all, most DAWs offer the same functionality - it's mostly just the workflow that differs between each - and I personally like the faux-hardware approach that Reason offers.

Whatever, I'm rambling. Upgrades = shiny new things, and I'm always a sucker for those! :D

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1412172514' post='2566428']
I've used every version but I missed Reason 7. It's come a long way in it's time.[/quote]

Indeed it has! I first got the bug for Propellerhead stuff with ReBirth back in the mid-90s or whenever it was. I now have it as an App on my phone... amazing,. really :)

I know what you mean. I'm now 'settled in' with the new update - I like the new interface and features, I love the amp sims, but it's not amazeballs. Just good.

The browser thingy took a bit of getting used to, but it's starting to help speed up my workflow now I've become accustomed to it - feels a bit more like Ableton with all the drag and drop, which is no bad thing.

At the very least it's a better platform for them to build on than version 7 was.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1412609328' post='2570334']
I wonder if I can find an old version of reason to buy and just upgrade that for less money :lol:
[/quote]

As mentioned, very much so and that would certainly be a canny move! You can sometimes find old versions up for sale on the Propellerhead forum.