Why become a member? ×

Best OD for under £50

danbowskill

I was a big fan of my Humphrey-modded 'Badder' Monkey until I replaced it with the similar sounding Xotic Bass BB Pre. I hear often that the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 stomps all over it though and holds the low end better too. So although I've not heard it, this is what I would spend my money on!

Then there's the EHX Glove, which is a bass friendly OCD clone that internally boosts up to 18v.

Don't forget the Behringer BDI-21!

There's also the Joyo pedals but I think they are over hyped over at Talkbass. I found the Ultimate Drive to lose too much low end and the American Sound was too bland.

Chord do a BOD-50 (Boss ODB3 clone) that's not bad at all.

it's got a really useful blend control, and is built like a tank - cast metal case etc…
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-BOD-50-Bass-Overdrive-Pedal/dp/B003GSNUKU

But then of course, there's the BDI-21...

Ehx glove
Hardwire cm 2 - often found for less than £50 s/h
Danelectro transparent overdrive. Either v1 or 2 sound great with bass
Chord bod50- sounds similar to the odb3, but to my ears sounds better
Dod fx91 bass overdrive. Great range of tones
Ehx hot tubes nano. Wooly vintage esque tones and tone stack on/ off switch
Ibanez phathed. Discontinued now I believe, but do crop up secondhand from time to time

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1412109819' post='2565821']
Chord do a BOD-50 (Boss ODB3 clone) that's not bad at all.

it's got a really useful blend control, and is built like a tank - cast metal case etc…
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-BOD-50-Bass-Overdrive-Pedal/dp/B003GSNUKU"]http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B003GSNUKU[/url]

But then of course, there's the BDI-21...
[/quote]

You can get the real ODB-3 for less than that used too. Forgot to mention the ODB-3, but I don't really class it as an overdrive, more a mislabelled distortion!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1412154564' post='2566110']

You can get the real ODB-3 for less than that used too. Forgot to mention the ODB-3, but I don't really class it as an overdrive, more a mislabelled distortion!
[/quote]

I agree. Even with the "lower gain" mod it's still more a distortion.

Hear me out on this... Boss SD-1. Yes it's a guitar overdrive but it sounds amazing on bass too. I used to use one before I got a Behringer BDi21 and a Sansamp RBI. You lose a little bit of bottom end but that can be sorted by adding a bit more bottom end on your amp. You can usually pick them up for around £20 too! I had two of them, one for guitar and one for bass. Sold one though and kept the other when i got the BDI21, now I use the SD-1 with a Bass Big Muff and heavily modded Dunlop GCB95 wah for "bass solos" if there is such a thing ;)

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1412187226' post='2566634']
I have a DS1 clone and its pretty good, would like to get one geared more towards bass, preferably one that keeps the low end a little better and a blend. Anyone know of any?
[/quote]

You could do a resistor swap in it and boost the low end?

[quote name='SmallDawg' timestamp='1412196455' post='2566750']
You could do a resistor swap in it and boost the low end?
[/quote]

I have quite a cheep clone, and am not really confident enough to do such a thing. Id just end up buying a ds1, and then getting someone else to mod/rehouse it, and at that point, i might as well buy an existing clone if there is such a thing.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1412197388' post='2566776']
i might as well buy an existing clone if there is such a thing.
[/quote]

That'd be the Mooer Ultra-drive then. Apparently it's a DS1 with the Keeley mods - in particular the 'fat' mod for retaining more low end.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1412233316' post='2566900']
That'd be the Mooer Ultra-drive then. Apparently it's a DS1 with the Keeley mods - in particular the 'fat' mod for retaining more low end.
[/quote]
Interesting, ill look into it.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1412240532' post='2566983']
I don't know if that counts as OD or distortion
[/quote]
Neither, its a fuzz. If your talking about the ehx models, the regular bass big muff pi lacks blend options, and suffers a bit from having scooped mids for me. The deluxe bass model has a crossover and blend, so is allot more versatile.

Edited by elephantgrey

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1412433713' post='2568932']
It would make these sort of discussions much more useful if people referenced the sort of sounds and tones they are looking to get...
[/quote]

Normally I'd agree with you, but this isn't a "which pedal should I get thread", but a "let's list all the cheap but good pedals people should check out of they're on a budget" thread!

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1412631437' post='2570695']
Can anyone explain the difference between fuzz, overdrive, drive and distortion?
[/quote]

[url="http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/effects-explained-overdrive-di.aspx"]http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/effects-explained-overdrive-di.aspx[/url]