Why become a member? ×

Has anone used the Ashdown Mibass 10?

geoham

Hi,

My current rig is am Ashdown Mag 300 paired with a matching 210 cab. I store my gear in my converted attic, and carrying the heavy 210 cab up and down two flights of stairs is slowly killing me!

I'm considering the MiBass 10 cab, with the intention of using this mostly, but having the option of using both together when needed.

My main concern..... Will the single 10 inch speaker cut it? The main alternative is a lighter 210 or 212 cabinet, something like the Tc Electronics BH series.

Any advice?

Edited by geoham

Not at all! Geoham responded! :P ;) (couldn't resist)

Idunno, mate, but in general, the idea of a single 110 is not really loved on BC.
My knee jerk tells me to think that a single 110 would need to be in a different price range and built specifically for lotsa noise.

That said, have you looked through the threads where the MiBass 10 is talked about?
I'm sure some must have mentioned something about its loudness.

Edit to note that since the MAG does 4 Ohm, how about two MiBass 10s, supposing they're 8 Ohm? One lift at a time and good noise to be had.

Edited by BassTractor

I've got a MiBass 2.0 and 2 X Mi10 cabs.
I've only managed bedroom use thus far, but I have an "acoustic" rehearsal/audition tonight with a new band. I'm going to use just the one cab, but assuming we get to proper rehearsing I'll use the whole rig, VERY much looking forward to that.
I think the cab is a lot more capable than a lot of people would be willing to accept, just because someone on here has an opinion, it doesn't make it fact, especially if they haven't even seen the cab in question in real life. 2 of these cabs would be absolutely fine in a live situation with a loud drummer, assuming you have a powerful enough head.

Eude

Let me know how you get on!
My 210 is 8 ohm, so could combine that with the MiBass if required, but would prefer that to be the exception rather than the rule. Perhaps two MiBass cabs would do the trick, and just sell the 210 would be the best option. Or a lighter cab altogether.....
Decisions decisions......

Morning I used mibass cabs pair for a while ,here's my honest opinion on them ,they where ok as a pair I mean just ok I tried various heads ashdowns ,Warwick , orange ,markbass with them and never got the sound I wanted from them to muffled for my liking and a one trip pony .if you like the sound of them that's fine but they are very limited sound wise .i sold mine and now use purple chilli with markbass head and behringer bd121 v tone pedal finely got the sound I like ,so many better cabs available now ,if you was not so far away you could come have a go on my rig ,the fender rumble cabs are really good , I have rumble 100 combo it blew the ashdown out the water sound wise and I used ashdowns for years on and off ,but go with what ever you fancy ,hope that helped a bit ,all the best kev

Edited by kevvo66

Well practice with the one cab went very well, completely overpowered 2 guitars in a small room, tone was open and even.
I should be having a proper live rehearsal this coming Friday, so I'll get to try out both cabs at the same time, will keep you posted.

Eude

[size=4][quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1412509992' post='2569418'][/size]
Try second hand mate ,some real bargains to be had
[/quote]

Think I'll be doing just that, cheers. Looking at the stock in the main Glasgow shops, I reckon I'd be buying online and therefore buying blind anyway.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1412504352' post='2569353']
Some mixed reviews then!
It looks to me like Ashdown have cornered the market for affordable micro-cabs. I can't find anything comparable for anywhere near the same price. I'd love to be proved wrong though!
[/quote]

The Eden 1 x 10 is very similar & looks very similar. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't made in the same factory?!!

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/eden_ex_110_8_ohms.htm?sid=54fe8d57c0d373f580e7c212daa2fb5f"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/eden_ex_110_8_ohms.htm?sid=54fe8d57c0d373f580e7c212daa2fb5f[/url]

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1412532115' post='2569677']

The Eden 1 x 10 is very similar & looks very similar. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't made in the same factory?!!

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/eden_ex_110_8_ohms.htm?sid=54fe8d57c0d373f580e7c212daa2fb5f"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/eden_ex_110_8_ohms.htm?sid=54fe8d57c0d373f580e7c212daa2fb5f[/url]

B
[/quote]

I suspect same factory with different finish (Ashdown vinyl vs Eden carpet) and different badge, yes :)

As for the mixed reviews, bear in mind the Mi10 is £159 new, it will never compete sonically with higher-priced, better engineered cabs which aren't built to a price point. Whether that compromise is something you can deal with is unfortunately difficult to judge without using one yourself!

I use the mi12 cabs, and couldn't disagree more with the idea that they are limited,sound wise. I've used them on every gig
for the last few years playing loads of different styles, and they've handled everything I've thrown at them-it doesn't matter
whether I use the 4, 5 or 6 string, Upright,Synth or whatever, the rig always perfoms. In fact this weekend I used just one cab
with the PiBass head (with my Warwick Streamer 5), and it sounded great.
Put it this way- my two mi12 cabs replaced my Bergantino HS410.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1412540596' post='2569813']
I suspect same factory with different finish (Ashdown vinyl vs Eden carpet) and different badge, yes :)

As for the mixed reviews, bear in mind the Mi10 is £159 new, it will never compete sonically with higher-priced, better engineered cabs which aren't built to a price point. Whether that compromise is something you can deal with is unfortunately difficult to judge without using one yourself!
[/quote]

Yeah that is what I meant. I forgot to add the Ashdown is better priced new.

B

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1412541069' post='2569821']
I use the mi12 cabs, and couldn't disagree more with the idea that they are limited,sound wise. I've used them on every gig
for the last few years playing loads of different styles, and they've handled everything I've thrown at them-it doesn't matter
whether I use the 4, 5 or 6 string, Upright,Synth or whatever, the rig always perfoms. In fact this weekend I used just one cab
with the PiBass head (with my Warwick Streamer 5), and it sounded great.
Put it this way- my two mi12 cabs replaced my Bergantino HS410.
[/quote]

I completely agree, I would describe the sound from my Mi10 cabs as [b]far from muffled[/b]. They sound big and open, almost hifi.

One thing that a lot of folks forget is that with all cabs, what you put in massively effects what you get out and some amps speak better through some cabs.
My guess would be, that seeing you're already using Ashdown gear anyway, you'd probably get what you're looking for from most Ashdown gear.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1412584422' post='2570042']

I completely agree, I would describe the sound from my Mi10 cabs as [b]far from muffled[/b]. They sound big and open, almost hifi.

One thing that a lot of folks forget is that with all cabs, what you put in massively effects what you get out and some amps speak better through some cabs.
My guess would be, that seeing you're already using Ashdown gear anyway, you'd probably get what you're looking for from most Ashdown gear.

Eude
[/quote]

Spot on :)

Do you work for ashdown? Sorry boys and girls as I said earlier in the thread ,one trip pony ,outdated by superior cabs !so they retail for about £160 ,or £170 so if you buy a pair that's between £320 or £340 that would buy one tasty cab of a different make unless you want too sound like j .j Brunell from the stranglers ps as I said earlier I used ash for years then one day I used some else's rig live and realised what I'd be missing I sold two ashdown heads ashdown combo and my cabs and moved on to my current rig it was not cheap but you pays your money as they say .ps hifi lol acme lowB now that's hifi baby

I'm not offended at all, but I'm still going to disagree with you.
Who cares how much they cost? It doesn't matter, they are great little cabs.If they weren't, I'd still be using my Bergantino.
Like I also said earlier, they are far from a 'one trip pony'.If they were they wouldn't have been able to handle the 400+ gigs I've done over the last 18 months...and funnily enough, I don't sound anything like JJ Burnell.
It's fine that you want something different, but the remarks regarding limitations are just completely untrue (I'd like to say bullshit, but I don't want to offend).

I use the Ashdown MiBass 550 and PiBass 240 amps.
The Bergantino cabs are great, but so are the Ashdowns.I used the 550 with the Bergantino for a while, until the
MiBass cabs came out.It's all I've used since.
I've probably gone against the grain of most peoples opinion on here because my previous rig was the Bergantino
HS410 with a Genz Benz Neo Pak 3.5 amp,but I can honestly say that I can do any gig with Ashdown rig and get a great tone.
Plus, it fits in my car without dropping the back seats. It's my favourite rig that I've used since I started gigging.

Just to jump in here again, I managed to use my MiBass 2.0 head and 2 x Mi10 cabs in anger for the first time on Friday.

VERY impressed.

For such a little rig, there's a lot of authority there. Don't expect massive sonorous low end, but there's a lot of clarity and a seriously tight low end.
I was playing my 6 string bass, and the full range of the instrument spoke clearly, with clarity, very hifi like as I mentioned before, and far from muffled.
The rig kept up with an electronic kit, singer and acoustic going through a PA, plus a guitard pushing a 50W Marshall through a 4x12 in a very awkward shaped room. I was also stood behind the cabs most of the time, alongside the drummer, and we could both hear every note clearly.
I have no doubt in my mind that this little rig would keep up nicely in a similar live situation.

If I fancy a bigger low end, I can always pick up a Mi12 cab too, but for now the flexibility and available power from this set up fits my needs perfectly!

Eude