Why become a member? ×

How many basses do you have? (Poll)

CamdenRob

The thing I find surprising here is that there are more people with 11+ basses than people with less than 3 basses..

I guess the statistics are skewed somewhat as we are a community of bass enthusiasts prone to collecting instruments... I would imagine that the vast majority of bass players the world over only have one instrument.

I always try to find a good reason to have more than one :)

Fender '76 Jazz (My main bass)
European Upright (Other gigging bass)
Warwick Alien (Acoustic requirements covered - alongside Roland Cube amp)
SBMM Stingray CA (I have to have a Stingray in there somehow)
Ibanez Portamento Fretless ( Fretless covered and helps when I don't have to lug the upright to rehearsals)
Fender 'Mark King' Jazz Bass (No sensible reason for this one I'm afraid)
Ortega Acoustic (See Fender Mark King reason)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1412235484' post='2566917']
The thing I find surprising here is that there are more people with 11+ basses than people with less than 3 basses..

I guess the statistics are skewed somewhat as we are a community of bass enthusiasts prone to collecting instruments... I would imagine that the vast majority of bass players the world over only have one instrument.
[/quote]

I can't think of many active bass players that have only 1. Most guitarists I know have at least 1 bass.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1412237371' post='2566935']
I can't think of many active bass players that have only 1. Most guitarists I know have at least 1 bass.
[/quote]

True... but I'd hazard a guess that at least 50% of basses bought are never used in anger and are just bought by people who want to dabble at being a rockstar.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1412238427' post='2566950']
True... but I'd hazard a guess that at least 50% of basses bought are never used in anger and are just bought by people who want to dabble at being a rockstar.
[/quote]

I reckon you're right. Quite a few of my basses don't get much use (if any). My Aria SBR-150 has been used for a 45 minute set and that's it. I just had to buy it as I had one 25 years ago. My Thunderbird won't get much use either but I still had to have it :o)

I've got three;
- Warwick Corvette Standard Active 5-string '03
- Fender Am. Std. Jazz '13
- Fender Acoustic

Really want to build myself a bitsa Precision to finish off all my needs but new bike lust & the ol' ball n chain are seriously hampering my funds at the moment so the project hasn't got off the ground yet.

I have 6 and it probably too many, but I like the choice. I don't think I have any that are too overlapping in sound (except perhaps the Variax) so I feel justified in their existance. A quick summary for those who care:

[b]Lakland 55-60[/b] - An amazing classic sounding Jazz but 35" scale 5 string.
[b]Spector Q6[/b] - Very focused and clear sound from the EMGs, really cuts through a mix.
[b]Fender Precision[/b] - Fitted with flats for old school thump, my general 'pick up and learn a new song bass.
[b]Peavey T-40[/b] - Heavy but cranked with a pick not much can beat it. Many sounds and still surprises me.
[b]Line 6 Variax [/b]- The ultimate chameleon bass. The normal models aren't all convincing but there is nothing more versatile, the acoustic and 8/12 strings are a particular bonus.
[b]Yamaha RBX775 - [/b]Defretted a few years ago and fitted with flats, I can get an amazing upright tone from it.

I do fancy a Stingray still even though the T-40 can do the sound with some EQing, I think it's the look I miss.

1!

Just my Ricky 4003. It's had quite a few mods, so for me after owning a good few, it's the one I've always heard in my head.

I really should have a back-up.....I sold one recently, as I never used it! Trouble is, when you finally have 'the' bass, everything else just feels wrong.