Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Strings - Help

mickcope

Hi - sorry i am sure that this has been asked before - but cant find it in the forum

Just got myself a budget double bass - but it came with nylon strings for Rockabilly bass - any recommendations on 'normal' strings as I will be playing Bluegrass.

Ones that wont cost a fortune but will not cause me too much pain (physical or emotional) in the early stages of learning

ta

Mick

As Legion says, Innovation will see you right. Silver Slaps are fat nylon wound strings that do a pass-able (but not exact) impersonation of gut strings (which are what all bluegrassers used to use back in the day) and they are very low tension, hence easy on hands and slappable if you want to play pizz and slap.

More modern bluegrassers frequently use 'darker' sounding steel strings like Evah Pirazzi Weichs, D'Adddario Zyex and Velvet strings, as these don't have the zingy brightness of say Thomastik Spirocore strings (the jazz standards) and instead have somethng of the thumpier, shorter decaying sound that is associated with guts, but without the tuning stability issues of real guts. The downside is these are a lot more expensive than Innovation strings unless you pick up a second-hand set on BassChat.

Edited by Clarky

FYI, there is a world of difference between Innovation Silver Slaps and nylon weedwacker-type strings like you have. Silver Slaps have decent volume and are altogether higher quality than lifeless/quiet weedwacker strings which are rubbish IMHO

As Clarky said i would recommend Innovation strings,if you want low tension strings go for silver slaps or golden slaps (same strings just different colour) or if you want a higher tension string go for super silvers.
I have used both in the past & reckon either will be fine for you,both sounding pretty much the same,both giving good accoustic volume too.
I wouldn't fancy playing bluegrass with steel strings,especially if you are going to be slapping as the tension will be high & you will tear your fingers to shreds.