Why become a member? ×

Insurance query

sarah thomas

The back seam on my German flatback is opening up and there is a crack running down the front under the fingerboard. The bass has had a few knocks in transit to evening classes, open mic nights and gigs, which I believe have caused this. My question is, would this be classed as 'accidental damage' under an Allianz policy, or would it be classed as 'wear and tear'? If it's accidental damage then I can claim for a repair but if it's wear and tear, then I can't. It rattles like stink. Has anyone any experience of this? Any advice appreciated.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1412170885' post='2566410']...Any advice appreciated.
[/quote]

Good afternoon, Sarah...

You may have answered you r own question, I should think. If the bass is accidentally damaged by someone knocking it over, I'd say 'accident'. If, however, it's in the 'normal' course of manipulation, including transport, I'd say 'wear and tear'. The best advice, however, will come from your insurers, no..? Can you not explain and let them advise..? Unless they're dishonest, they'll honour the contract if it's covered, surely..?

Some insurance companies will have so many get-out clauses and red tape that they will be able to find an excuse not to pay. I reiterate 'some' because others are very helpful.

I think the key here is not to hesitate in explaining what has caused the damage (no one is suggesting you lie!), do not be ambivalent: state that after a few transport related knocks, the crack appeared.