Why become a member? ×

What Amp to try with Bergantino HDs?

FuNkShUi

Ok, so im going to keep the Bergs i have.
Feel like i was giving them away at the prices i was offering and still wasnt really getting any interest.
The reason I was thinking about selling was due to weight and difference in size between the 210 and 112 i have.
The sound was never the problem.
Looking at the weight, they probably weigh 5kg more than what i wouldve replaced them with, so realistically, i feel i should stop whining and just lift them!
So your in my position. You have a HD112 and a HD210, both with tweeters (dont know if thats standard), what amp would you run them with?
The 210 is 400w @ 8 ohms and the HD112 is 350W @8ohms.
The SWR pre amp i have is immense. It probably has too much on it for my liking, and is a little too large.
I suffer bass related OCD!! Apparently its not as rare as i originally feared.
So i want something class D really. And i plan on driving about a bit to try a few heads out and see what sounds best.
Any of you have/had this set up?
Any recommendations on what what sit well with the Bergs?
Thanks in advance

I used the TF550-B with 2xAE112's and 2xDB210's and I got very loud with that on stages...
a stage to me starts around 8m x 4m... We'd have bass monitors as well, but mostly the bass
rig as described would handle that, IME.
Admittedly, I traded up to a 750/4 amp but that wasn't for the volume.

Talking to TF users, they say the 750 and 800 are very good amps as well, but I am not sure
I'd pay the difference to upgrade from a 550.
What I have found you get from a 550 amp and a 750 amp, is not volume whilst standing local..
but the louder amp fills the room deeper..and in many gigs, the 750 is TOO much.

I sold the TF..when what I really to sell was the AE112's...but I have a very light class D now
and I will run that with very light 2x112 ( not the Bergs ) so that fits my light/tiny rig idea.
I still have the big rig 750 plus appropriate cabs as well.

That was my thinking..all basses covered.

The TF550-B has the same sort of EQ stage as classic SWR...so a couple of filters
along with a 4 band semi parametric which means VERY powerful tone shaping.
I never used the Parametric as the bass was good straight ...and the filters were
very decent mappings anyway, IMO.

I agree, you'll not track them down in shops.

I had a TF550 and moved it on very quickly. It seemed a very 'picky' amp. Worked well with some cabs and not others.

For a short while I had the TF, an Aguilar AG500 and a TH500 and the TH was by far my favourite.

In fact I ran a little home test with a 'name' bassist who lives near me and he hated the TF and refused to try it for more than a few minutes because he simply could not get a sound he liked from it. The AG500 came 2nd and the TH also won for him.
The speakers we were using were all 12's Aguilar DB and SL and Bergantino AE.

The TH sounded good with all of them, the AG was nice with the DB's but a bit too bright with the Neo cabs and the TF just sounded very 'coloured' with all of them but also best with the DB's. I think it's one of those amps that you'll really like if you find the 'coloured' sound is what you were after, if not then it's one to walk away from :(

There are some seriously high end class D amps in the BC marketplace at the moment:

Loadsamoney:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/242739-walter-woods-blue-light-1200w/page__p__2561081__hl__walter%20woods__fromsearch__1#entry2561081

More realistic:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/244167-fs-glockenklang-blue-soul/page__p__2559794__hl__glockenklang__fromsearch__1#entry2559794

Not sure if this package is able to be split, but they are reportedly superb amps:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/246483-feeler-demeter-minnie-vtbp-m-800d-signed-edition-plus-ea-nl210/page__p__2568639__hl__demeter__fromsearch__1#entry2568639

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1412614232' post='2570408']

As I understand it, the 6.0 has the HPF set quite high, and this was lowered for the 6.2
I've also read about a tweak in the EQ voicings too.
[/quote]
I think it gets 3pdm as well which gives more heft to notes

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Streamliner 600 for a couple of years now, and I quickly paired it with a single HD112, it's a lovely combination. I tried an HD210 with the 12 but the adding the 10's in the rig made the overall sound way too punchy for my taste. This year I got a second HD112 and the two 12's together are stunning. Lots of tight & focused low end, a big sound. But not big in that it takes over the stage, yet it's all around you at the same time. Definitely worth trying out.