Why become a member? ×

NBD J&D 75 Jazz Bass!

MarkG3

[URL=http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/S9_S12_Bass/media/48CABCD7-E148-41F6-9F9A-88ADED593D6F_zpsaxqkzcug.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/S9_S12_Bass/48CABCD7-E148-41F6-9F9A-88ADED593D6F_zpsaxqkzcug.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/S9_S12_Bass/media/C70B4786-56EB-40E2-829F-DF294CBB1492_zpsuqlc9sg4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/S9_S12_Bass/C70B4786-56EB-40E2-829F-DF294CBB1492_zpsuqlc9sg4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I saw the thread about the J&D basses and thought I would get one and see what they are like! Always wanted a surf green, with maple and blocks jazz and now I've got one!

It plays great and sounds great too, the frets have a slight hint of sharpness but not noticeable when actually playing.

The only issue is the d string has been cut too low in the nut so when playing an open d there's a fair bit of buzz. I did speak to Dv247 and they said they could replace the bass or get their tech to have a look at it. I've decided I'll sort it out myself as I plan on changing bits on it anyway and the nut was one of them and the fact it plays and sounds great otherwise.

I plan on changing all the chrome bits for black parts, so far I have ordered a black graphtech nut, a black bridge and black string tree. So I'll post more pics once I've done them :)

I had one of these when I was going through my annual Jazz phase. They are very good basses regardless of price, but they really are silly money. I was going to say it would make an ideal back-up, but the fact is you could easily use one as your main squeeze as it plays like a bass costing three times as much, IMHO. Nice neck, good build and the pickups are hot! There is no downside to owning one of these, unless you are hung up on the 'F' badge thing, of course...

Edited by discreet

I now own Mark's (Discreet) J&D and I love it, if I were to change anything I'd prefer a shallower depth to the neck as it's a but chunky for me but that's just me being fussy as it a great bass at any price.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1412373961' post='2568465']
I concur! I had one of these for a while and they're ridiculously good for the money.
[/quote]

I believe I bought that one from you and sold it to Rumple... typical Basschat merry-go-round... :)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1412405652' post='2568602']
These do seem to be making the rounds. People rave about them being good for not much money, but they demonstrably do not seem to be 'keepers'.
[/quote]

In my case that's purely because I came to the conclusion (again!) that I'm not a Jazz person, or I would have kept both the J&D and Limelight Jazz. :)

These do seem to be making the rounds. People rave about them being good for not much money, but they demonstrably do not seem to be 'keepers'.
[/quote]

I'll be keeping mine until I have enough money for an early 70's Fender Jazz, even then I may keep it as I like the colour :)

Despite having very recently satisfied my cheap-but-brilliant jazz GAS with a Squire VM purchase I'm looking at these J&Ds with er, GASsy eyes. Hehe.

How heavy are they? That's the only downside to the cheaper basses IMO. They're usually quite heavy. My Squire is 8lbs 9oz which is the upper end of what I'd call nice and manageable but I tried a natural finish one which must have been over 11lbs and was far too heavy.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1412419120' post='2568744']

I make it just a smidging under 1.5"
[/quote]

THanks Rumple. THink I might get one of these then. The 1.5" (or less) nut width is a must for me though.

And now ordered !!! I was initially thinking of converting it to a PJ, and adding a black bridge and control plate. Hmmmmm.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1412420178' post='2568763']
And now ordered !!! I was initially thinking of converting it to a PJ, and adding a black bridge and control plate. Hmmmmm.
[/quote]

You will have to let us all know what you think of it.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1412419316' post='2568747']
How heavy are they?
[/quote]
[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1412512643' post='2569445']
On the heavy side, I'd say it's 10lbs
[/quote]

It hangs well, though... but so does the Jazz! :rolleyes: Fnarr. I don't tolerate heavy basses too well but I didn't have an issue with it.
It seems well balanced and there's not a noticeable neck-dive problem or anything. Try one, I'd say.

Edited by discreet

It does seem a bit heavy but not the heaviest bass I've ever had. I've sorted out the nut for the time being until the new one arrives, I just put some of the peeled off plastic from the scratchplate in the nut slot and that's done the job.

Really pleased with it though :)

My Tanglewater is just over 10lbs and is too heavy to gig with for me. I sold another Tanglewater that was over 11lbs. Beautiful bass to look at, play and listen to but just too heavy for me. My Squire VM is 8lbs 9oz which is just at the top end of the weight scale for me. So I think a 10lb bass would be a no-no for me. :(

Oh and also, I just bought myself a cheap but brilliant jazz so what am I thinking?! :)

I'm thinking I should buy one... they are ludicrously cheap.

More to the point, I'm thinking I really shouldn't buy any, because I haven't got the money or the space... but I do want one. Or three...

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='andybass87' timestamp='1412593397' post='2570137']
seen one on gumtree this morning for a silly price. don't know if I am allowed to post a link or not??
[/quote]

The blue one for £60? blimey that is cheap!

[/quote]

When they're so cheap, many people buy them on impulse and after a while they come to their senses and realise they really don't need it, and possibly have other basses they prefer so... away they go.
Not very surprising, really. What is surprising is that they're so good for the price they go for!