Why become a member? ×

Through-body stringing.

NancyJohnson

My old shortscale Squier Badtz Maru Bronco is fast turning into something akin to Trigger's Broom. I just bought a Mustang bridge for it (so at least it will intonate), but it requires through the body stringing...went on evilBay and bought some ferrules for the back of the body, so a question...do I drill the same size hole(s) right through the body to align with the hole in the bridge? Do I need to do anything under the bridge?

Thanks
P

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, because the ferrules have a flange to seat into the body, you can drill the hole with the same drill bit completely through the body. Yes, a smaller drill bit is preferred so the shoulder of the ferrule will also seat as well as the flange. No, you don't have to do anything else under the bridge other than making sure the ground wire has good contact for conventional passive pickups.

Here's the kicker: since through-body stringing adds to the necessary length of the string, you will need different strings than just generic short scale strings. La Bella makes a great set of Mustang strings.

You can do the above, and it will work fine.
My Mustang (60s) has the larger holes for the ferrules in the back, but they only go halfway, the holes are smaller on the top side.

This might make installation easier too. If you put the bridge in place, drill a hole that fits the string holes in the bridge straight through the body, then use that hole on the back as a guide for the ferrule holes... Then you don't have to drill all the way through with the larger hole.

Just make sure the ferrules are securely in place. It's a pain when they fall out.