Why become a member? ×

Best combo for small(ish) venues

Tenty

I have the fender rumble 100watt combo it pokey little bugger ,Ive used it at rehearsals and it's holds its own + you can di the new rumble range so light to I would happily use my in gigging situation into the di of course ,but don't think i,d beat the hell out of it every night but budget wise real nice combo I've had mine about six month,s now never missed a beat ,but my stuff is pampered and never abused ,just off too read my cabs and basses a bedtime story !!!!

Edited by kevvo66

ashdown rootmaster looks quite versatile, good set of features for the pricetag.

I wouldn't rule out a separate head/cab solution though, this can work out lighter and just as wallet friendly. I use a TC BH250 with an EBS 12" cab. I believe it cost me in the region of £500 or just under. stands up to all the wedding venues I have played so far, large and small.

Edited by andybass87

IMO, modular rigs are the best every time.

My big rig was 3 112 cabs and an 800 watt amp, the regular rig was 2 112 cabs and a 500 watt amp and the small rig was 1 112 cab and the 500 watt amp.

I load the same gear in and out on every gig (except the number of cabs).

Makes life so much easier and I get pretty much the same sound on every gig.

I've held on to a Warwick CCL I bought many, many years ago - the 250W 15" version - because it's so damn portable. It'll slide into the back seat of the car, it sounds great, it's the perfect height to sit on at tiny venues, it's got wheels and a handle and it'll take an extension cab (down to 4 ohms). If only you could still get them... sounds great. I'd recommend anything similar for the portability - I once walked a mile with the amp behind me, carrying gig bag and guitar, because I couldn't find anywhere to part in London!

Well I've got through 4 Amps in the last 12 months trying to answer this question, I would have been hanging on to my AER amp one as it has awesome power for its size, had it not gone back to the manufactures for repair (but they replaced it with a new one!) which forced me to buy a new amp whilst it was away, and I'm loving my new Orange TB500c combo. It has great tone and bottom end, and not overly large or weighty for portability, you can also flick down the impedance to 4 ohms and daisy chain another cab if required, but for both of these amps some remortgaging may be required!

Edited by chrisanthony1211