Why become a member? ×

Looking for small cabs with punch

Reissueplayer

I used to have a pair of the Berg ERs and they sounded really good, but were far from the ip. The DSP is likely a big part of it, and I see your point. They are probably the key to evenness at louder volumes and a low end that never seems to fail and crap out.

In my search, I also acquired an XS2104 from Unicornbass (http://unicornbass.se/site/bass-speakers/xs2104/). It delivers room filling and fast low end, which is great. It goes a really long way and can take all the power you want to throw at it. It can be had in an active version as well. If you like the flat response, I couldn't imagine anything better. But it's not as punchy and mid present as the Berg, which is what I'm going for this time. If you play five string, this may be the bees knees.

On my way now to pick up an AE212 which was for sale locally. We'll see what it does.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1413191369' post='2575546']
If the requirement is a smaller/lighter IP, does an AER amp one fit the bill? They're silly money, but from what I've read they have some of the DSP magic built in, similar to the IP?
[/quote]

I can vouch for the AER amp one, and if you see my thread on their customer service I don't think they can be beaten. You would not believe the power, volume and bottom end that come out of these tiny boxes. The only thing for me that could possibly beat an amp one for overall sound and portability would be the amp three (I'm yet to try one but the reviews give it the edge on the amp one). And yes, they are silly daft bonkers ridiculous nuts money, but you get what you pay for, a top quality amp with some kind of retro-fitted alien nuclear fusion technology, (otherwise known as German engineering!) and, of course the best in customer care.

Guest monsterthompson

Another Barefaced fan with a G3 Super Midget. I can't say that there aren't better cabs out there (I haven't played them all), only that I like mine.

Edited by monsterthompson

I do use and love my AER Compact for guitar. I would trust them to make really good stuff for bass as well, but the power rating seems a bit on the low side.

I got hold of the Berg AE212 and went to rehearse with it today. I got it cheap, but it is in condition as new. With identical settings it was punchier and had more low mids than my other cab. It felt fast and gave a sound that was easy to control with the hands. Never boomy, always present

I have 2 off AE 112 cabs. Small footprint, Light enough that i can carry bass in gig bag over one shoulder, Amp in gig bag over the other and a cab in each hand. One trip from the car to venue.
Downside - i can't open doors with my teeth yet. :lol:

Dave

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413528759' post='2579104']
What amp ..??

I thought a TH500 with 2xAE112's was quite a match. Will confirm over the next few dates
[/quote]
I do enjoy Aguilar with my ip stack, a tonehammer pedal or a db659. But the rig I'm using with the band right now is a Mike Pope MPP-2 with a Powersoft power amp. I also use a Tecamp 1000 a lot and really like how it feels and sounds, even set flat.

[quote name='Reissueplayer' timestamp='1412611302' post='2570362']
I'll keep an eye out for midgets then.

What about Schroeder? I read somewhere they cut through the band noise quite well. They don't seem to get much attention anymore though
[/quote]

I'm a recent Schroeder convert, currently playing through a 1212L and 15L and it's incredible how the B&C neo speakers cut through the rest of the noisy buggers in the band! I think the lack of attention they get now is because they don't have a UK dealer any more and so aren't as easy to get as before. When buying the last cab, I asked Jorg Schroeder about this and he explained that he had to drop the previous distributor because there were issues about them passing off used cabs as new.

It's definitely worth getting in touch with him if you're looking for an extremely lightweight and reasonably priced cab, and he's happy to keep the import costs down as much as possible (he adds with a subtle wink ;) ). There are plenty of custom options available to ensure you've a real one-off cab

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1413657365' post='2580675']
I'm a recent Schroeder convert, currently playing through a 1212L and 15L and it's incredible how the B&C neo speakers cut through the rest of the noisy buggers in the band! I think the lack of attention they get now is because they don't have a UK dealer any more and so aren't as easy to get as before. When buying the last cab, I asked Jorg Schroeder about this and he explained that he had to drop the previous distributor because there were issues about them passing off used cabs as new.

It's definitely worth getting in touch with him if you're looking for an extremely lightweight and reasonably priced cab, and he's happy to keep the import costs down as much as possible (he adds with a subtle wink ;) ). There are plenty of custom options available to ensure you've a real one-off cab
[/quote]

These cabs have quite a low key following amongst very discerning players who would generally sound great thru a lot of cabs, but they use these
cabs on small gigs as they punch way more than their weight

There are several small and light high quality cabs that will sound huge and punchy. From the reviews Baer cabs sound good and haven't been mentioned yet.

Most of the high end cabs are just different flavours of great.

My opinion and experience is that Bergantino AE112 cabs are [i]the[/i] best cabs I've played since 2007, when Mark first brought them in to Bassdirect. I replaced mine with a CN212 but if I went back to the AE's I would be just as happy.

• 1 month later...