Why become a member? ×

Looking for small cabs with punch

Reissueplayer

I'm looking to get something close to what my Berg ip stack produces. It has a sound I can feel in the chest, really fast and isn't at all boomy. I play four string basses, often turn down the low bass register for definition and like the emphasis to be around 250-400hz. A small footprint and decent weight are important, as is a fast response (transients).

What would you suggest, based on your experiences from live performances?

[quote name='Reissueplayer' timestamp='1412528330' post='2569615']
I'm looking to get something close to what my Berg ip stack produces.
[/quote]
I doubt there's much better out there....
that's not much help is it?! I'm intrigued what improvement on the Berg IP you're looking for - one of the lightweight cab makers will be lighter (barefaced for example) - the ip would be my holy grail of bass amp!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1412533362' post='2569692']

I doubt there's much better out there....
that's not much help is it?! I'm intrigued what improvement on the Berg IP you're looking for - one of the lightweight cab makers will be lighter (barefaced for example) - the ip would be my holy grail of bass amp!
[/quote]
You may well be right about that. It has stood up well against everything I have challenged it with. TC Electronic, Tecamp 410, Ampeg 410, Berg ER 112s, TKS 1126 have all failed to come close. I did have a small PJB stack that sounded really good, but didn't hold up in a band situation.

I am not replacing the Berg ip. I just want two amp setups.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1412531145' post='2569663']
Old Barefaced Midgets fit the bill. Might see some coming up used now the new range of barefaced is out. They are definitely mid focussed, though you can eq bass in if needed without farting out.
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Reissueplayer' timestamp='1412534057' post='2569702']

You may well be right about that. It has stood up well against everything I have challenged it with. TC Electronic, Tecamp 410, Ampeg 410, Berg ER 112s, TKS 1126 have all failed to come close. I did have a small PJB stack that sounded really good, but didn't hold up in a band situation.

I am not replacing the Berg ip. I just want two amp setups.
[/quote] hmmm a ip310 then

[quote name='Reissueplayer' timestamp='1412611302' post='2570362']
I'll keep an eye out for midgets then.

What about Schroeder? I read somewhere they cut through the band noise quite well. They don't seem to get much attention anymore though
[/quote]

Good call on these - yes they are very good at punching through, due to the mid-emphasis on them. Very light/portable as well.

[quote name='Reissueplayer' timestamp='1412611302' post='2570362']
I'll keep an eye out for midgets then.

[/quote]

Don't buy one 'blind' - IMHO they aren't in the same league as a Berg IP cab for either quality of tone or fit & finish. BF is one of the most 'marmite' cab ranges out there, I've never seen a cab get so much love & hate as they do. To my ears they are way too mid-focussed and get harsh and nasally when jacked up loud whereas the IP just keeps on going and sounding great at high volume - wish Jim Bergantino had kept making these!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1412632813' post='2570708']

Don't buy one 'blind' - IMHO they aren't in the same league as a Berg IP cab for either quality of tone or fit & finish. BF is one of the most 'marmite' cab ranges out there, I've never seen a cab get so much love & hate as they do. To my ears they are way too mid-focussed and get harsh and nasally when jacked up loud whereas the IP just keeps on going and sounding great at high volume - wish Jim Bergantino had kept making these!
[/quote]
Thank you for offering a different point of view. Things that go nasal probably have the frequency emphasis too high for me. But I don't buy the "uncolored", "studio monitor" argument either. To me that seems wrong.

Maybe I should pick up another Berg solution. But a stack of 1x12 ERs didn't do it and the sound of the 6x10 didn't appeal to me. There is an AE212 around for sale in my town though.

Miidgets need a LOT of watts.well my new super midget does...
I recently got a super midget so i could go to rehearsals in my GT86! What an extravagence.
My GB Shuttle9.2 has to be cranked much higher to get the volume I get from my S12T.
I fear if i'd had anything with fewer watts than the 9.2 (500W @ 8ohm) then the super midget would not achieve required volume

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1412676041' post='2570882']
I recently got a super midget so i could go to rehearsals in my GT86! What an extravagence.
My GB Shuttle9.2 has to be cranked much higher to get the volume I get from my S12T.
I fear if i'd had anything with fewer watts than the 9.2 (500W @ 8ohm) then the super midget would not achieve required volume
[/quote]

I remember Alex recommending the Carvin B2000 head to go with his cabs :)

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1412676041' post='2570882']
[/quote]
Interesting comments Ian, but what does it sound like at required volume? Does it do the job?

They both do the job.
I just had an email from Alex about my post.
When i first got the midget I accidently had a -15dB switch on one of my pedals and couldn't get any volume out of the midget.

Now (having restored the input level cut - DOH!) on my shuttle9.2 with pre amp set gain 9 oclock Vol 3 oclock, to achieve simlar volumes the output is set 11oclock for the S12T and 3oclock on the super midget.
This is the volume we rehearse at with a loud kit and loud guitar.
I think that that tells me you need a lot of oomph to drive the midget.

Admittedly the S12T is a 4ohm cab and the midget an 8 ohm - I'd expect to have to crank the head to achieve similar results but this is a powerful head and 3 oclock is a long way round the dial

i have rehearsed with both cabs this week as we have a gig on Sunday (first in UK for 3 years!) and I was undecided which cab to take - so proper a/b testing done.
The S12T gets the gig - the sound is richer and fuller than the midget. The midget is stilll very new and probably needs breaking in a little more.

Having said all that I just want to point out that both cabs sound great to my ears.
I wouldn't say i'm a barefaced fanboi, like some, but I liked the product so much I've bought 2 now.....

I would be interested to discover how a double super midget rig sounds compared to my S12T - that would be interesting - any super midget owners wanna lend me one for an a/b back to back test?

Edited by Twigman

I also have a ip112/ex112 stack with a monique preamp and have been looking for a smaller alternative.
I tried a lot of cabs (aguilar, barefaced, bag end etc) the only cab who came close was the Audiokinesis Thunderchild 112.
It's a 4ohm cab with lowish sensitivity so you need a nice and powerful amp and you have to import it from the US and
deal with the import hassle and transport risk :(

I have Berg IP love in my life. Believe me I have tried to find a replacement but cannot. If he made a lighter series I would buy one now. My considered opinion is that the action is in the DSP. Yes, they are great cabs but the real action is in the active EQ specically for the cab and the multi band compression. The real question is how do we replicate that? All the grown up PA cabs use extensive DSP. Configuerable DSP is now available with lower end PA power amps. It is beginning to be possible to run a mastering app with detailed EQ and multi band compression within your iPad. The company say only on recorded material. Others say it can be inserted into another app to make it work. I am certainly going to try. A lot of people talk about pure tone and no processing etc. I understand the argument but it applies to exactly 0% of any recorded tone we have heard. If an IP with less weight is the question, DSP is at least 50% of the answer.