Why become a member? ×

Minor diatonic chord help.

sellisnba

Hi all
I've been trying to find out what the minor diatonic chords are, Whilst I know that the Major chords are

Maj Min Min Maj Dominant Maj Dmin

Could anybody tell me what the minor chords are as I'm trying to learn some minor arpeggios and not having any luck with finding the correct answer.

Thanks

Edited by sellisnba

It's the same as the major, if you carry on forming chords across 2 octaves. The natural minor or relative minor is the 6th degree of the major scale, so start there and carry on building chords from there.

ie - minor, m7b5, major, minor, minor, major, dominant 7, minor.

Edited by ambient

I'm no expert but I think that it also depends on which minor scale you're using - In the Jazz Theory Book, Scott Levine goes into the melodic minor diatonic chords as these seem to be what many modern jazz compositions use, but I believe that harmonic minor is also used a lot.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1412611795' post='2570367']
Yes, melodic minor is massively common in contemporary Jazz composing. Harmonic minor is used less so but, ironically, it appears in a lot of my writing!! I just hear it that way.
[/quote]
Me too Rob..
also worth pointing out that it's the prevalent scale sound in minor II V I sequences with the major third in the V chord being the major 7th of the (harmonic) minor scale derivative, most people tend to think the b9 is the alteration whereas that does in fact belong.

maybe it's a Welsh thing B)

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1412617912' post='2570465']

Me too Rob..
also worth pointing out that it's the prevalent scale sound in minor II V I sequences with the major third in the V chord being the major 7th of the (harmonic) minor scale derivative, most people tend to think the b9 is the alteration whereas that does in fact belong.

maybe it's a Welsh thing B)
[/quote]

Tidy!!