Why become a member? ×

New amp head ideas???

Me And My Bass

Alright guys,

Recently made a total arse of an deal which involved me selling my GB Streamliner 900 to fund a Aguilar amp that was for sale locally . . . Deal fell through and l am left amp-less!

Looking for ideas for an new amp to power my Barefaced bass Big Baby 2 cab. It sounded great with the GB900, and l enjoyed the size and how lightweight it was, but would consider a larger amp size (like the Aguilar AG500).

Had a trawl through the forum here looking at all the various 'micro amp' heads . . . . nothing compairs power wise to the GB900 as far as l can see. Does anyone have anymore recommendations? Mind the BigBaby2 can handle upto 800watt @ 8ohm, l want something up there powerwise. I really like the Aguilar stuff, but something like the TH500 would only be putting around 250watts into the BB2. A second BB2 cab might me an idea further down the line.

Budget up to £800ish.

Cheers guys!

Edited by Me And My Bass

The Aguilar TH500 and the Orange Terror Bass are the loudest 500W heads I've ever played, much louder then the 600W Streamliner I had. It seems that Aguilar and Orange rate their amps honestly by rating their amps as 500W continuous, I wouldn't be surprised if the Genz was 900W only in bursts and was actually similar to those amps in overall output.

If it's raw power you want, and a tubey sound, the Orange Terror 1000 would slay everything in a volume war! The GK MB Fusion 800 would also be a similar match volume wise for the STM900.

Also the Ampeg SVT-7Pro is 1000W.

Edited by dannybuoy

BUY MY CARVIN (shameless plug over).
I did actually try a TH500 last week (as my Carvin had been sold, then the FEEBayer failed to turn up yesterday :angry: ).
The TH500 sounded wonderful but it was only through an Aguilar 1 x 12 which I assume was 8 ohms. I had to crank the master and gain both to about 3 0'clock to get anywhere near gigging volume.
The Carvin rarely goes much past 9 o'clock on either, so it put big doubts in my mind about gigging the TH, so LUCKILY as it turned out, I didn't buy it.

The Orange Terror 500 is not the most versatile BUT!!!! it has a 40hm/8ohm switch on the back, so you can use it fully at 8ohms!
If you get one, change the pre amp valves, IMO, the gain with the original tubes just sounds horrible after about 9 0.clock.

Good luck, Chris, we have so much choice now :D

Edited by karlfer

I think my biggest mistake was parting with my Eden WT800 . . . . loved that amp - clean, warm & powerful.

I have a Crown XTI1000 power amp in the cupboard, so might try the pre + amp setup . . . but that could weight a ton.

Not sure if the Orange Terror is my thing sound wise . . . the GB added just the right amount of grit if i required it, usually not alot.

Other than the Orange what is putting out more than 450/500 when driving a 8ohm cab?? . . l cant find much.

Checking the Carvin just now Karl!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1412600366' post='2570221']
The Orange Terror 500 is not the most versatile BUT!!!! it has a 40hm/8ohm switch on the back, so you can use it fully at 8ohms!
If you get one, change the pre amp valves, IMO, the gain with the original tubes just sounds horrible after about 9 0.clock.
[/quote]

Just don't turn it past 9 o'clock then!

• 3 weeks later...