Why become a member? ×

Which passive Seymour's for my Jazz Bass® ??

Tuco

Hiya chatters

Im taking the EMG's out of my 93 MIM Jazz and going back to passive.

First thought was tried and trusted Seymour Duncan's.. I don't really think I need high output so am pondering over the antiquitys and the classic stack and vintage pups. Is the price difference warranted???

Shall I just get a set of 1/4lb'ers ad be done with it?? :D

I go straight into OC2 > Oxide if that will have bearing on things...

Purely food for thought guys, I was just wondering if any of you care to share your opinions and experiences??

cheers guys

Edited by Tuco

After reading a Bass Player pickup shoot up, I plumped for the Seymour Duncan Hot pickups, as they said they were slightly hotter than standard but still sounded like a Jazz bass should. I have since installed them on all of my Jazz basses I liked them so much!

The same review highly rated the Antiquity pickups as well, especially for a fretless.

[quote name='leonshelley01' timestamp='1412610739' post='2570353']
After reading a Bass Player pickup shoot up, I plumped for the Seymour Duncan Hot pickups, as they said they were slightly hotter than standard but still sounded like a Jazz bass should. I have since installed them on all of my Jazz basses I liked them so much!

The same review highly rated the Antiquity pickups as well, especially for a fretless.
[/quote]
Funny that, I just read somewhere else some dude waxing lyrical about the SJB2's

And according to duncans tone chart, they have the most mids... :D

thanks for your input ;)

Edited by Tuco

[quote name='Tuco' timestamp='1412619054' post='2570475']
Thats very interesting!
[/quote]

The QP neck provides a real punch but the STK-J2b will provide a nice, smooth sound on the bridge but it'll also cancel out any hum you'd get from the single coil QP. It's a real nice sounding combo

That doesn't sound quite right, I thought with a Jazz, the 2 single coils produce hum when used alone but cancel when blended together. Wouldn't mixing a QP and a Stack give you the same result as a PJ combo - only one pickup is hum cancelling, the other hums and therefore so does the combination?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1412628993' post='2570654']
That doesn't sound quite right, I thought with a Jazz, the 2 single coils produce hum when used alone but cancel when blended together. Wouldn't mixing a QP and a Stack give you the same result as a PJ combo - only one pickup is hum cancelling, the other hums and therefore so does the combination?
[/quote]

Correct sir.

• 2 months later...