Why become a member? ×

MM pup series/parallel/single - worth bothering?

dincz

I'm stuck waiting for parts for my Mingray experiment (see thread in Bass Guitars). Meanwhile I'm wondering if it's worth including a series/parallel/single switch. I'd guess series/parallel would give quite different sounds but is a single coil option worth including? I'll be using a Seymour Duncan SMB-4A mounted in the Stingray spot.

Edited by dincz

The difference between parallel and single is less obvious to my ears than the obvious hoof up the backside that is series. I had a G&L Tribute L-2000 modded to give series/parallel/single but ended up finding that using both pickups single coil (inners) as a sort of quasi-middle pickup (parallel) suited me best. On their own, the differences between single and parallel were marginal - the single coil maybe being a little brighter/lighter sounding than parallel. Bear in mind this is MFD pickups I'm talking about here - other pickups may exhibit different effects (although I seem to remember similar results with a Seymour Duncan Stingray pickup and the Z-bass pickups on the Gibson SG-Z).

Edited by neepheid

I've had a series/parallel/single switch fitted to my Delano MM-loaded Shuker horn, and it produces three different tones. The Series setting is much louder than the other two, so I don't use it much (I had the switch put in to get away from this), but I use the other two a lot.

I'm going to be fitting the new Nordy Bigman pickup soon (when I get the funds sorted), and that'll be wired with seperate volumes for each coil (each coil is basically a Big Single) instead of a switch...

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1412614633' post='2570417']
I'm stuck waiting for parts for my Mingray experiment (see thread in Bass Guitars). Meanwhile I'm wondering if it's worth including a series/parallel/single switch. I'd guess series/parallel would give quite different sounds but is a single coil option worth including? I'll be using a Seymour Duncan SMB-4A mounted in the Stingray spot.
[/quote]

I would not bother.
But it may be worth trying both the parallel and the series configurations and see which one you like best. I personally don't find it that useful to switch between the various configurations in one bass (I have a couple of basses that allows that, but I didn't choose them because of it), but one configuration may be nicer than the rest, for you.
One of my SUBs is wired in series (stock), and it's my favourite when using a 2-band preamp. It seems that the extra mids complement the preamp better than the parallel config, for my liking.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1412699164' post='2571134']
If you're having the switch, may as well make it a series/parallel single, it's not any extra effort, just have to get the correct on-on-on switch!
[/quote]

I'll hook it up temporarily to see what happens but won't bother including it as a permanent feature if it doesn't offer anything. I was also considering a blend pot but on second thoughts I don't want to load the pickup unnecessarily.

As for me, personally, I play bass. I support ensembles. I don't solo, except on rare occasion when the band leader introduces each member. I provide a big, wide foundation to support the entire group or ensemble. In the past 38+ years, I have experimented with all sorts of wiring, including series, parallel, single coil, phase reverse, active, passive, onboard eq, all sorts of effects, all sorts of amps. I always come back to straight ahead wiring, series humbucking pickups for noise elimination and bigger tone, with simple V-V-T wiring. The only thing I have added is an EMG EXB so I have a single knob to roll on or off as necessary to switch between straight ahead playing with pop-and-slap for those few songs I need it.

Then again, I came to this position after decades. Go ahead and install the switch so you can have the versatility. I do wager, however, that as time goes on, the switch will end up being in conventional humbucker mode.