Why become a member? ×

Steve Hanley Autobiography Out Now

spongebob

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/01/the-big-midweek-life-inside-the-fall-review-mark-e-smith-steve-hanley

Out now, just ordered my copy from Amazon.

Looks like a great read - big influence on my style. Very underrated player IMHO.....For me, The Fall have never recovered from his departure. Steve and Karl Burns (amazing drummer) were a formidable team.

An autobiography from a bass player....what's not to like!

As you might guess from my avatar name, this is very good news for me. On my Xmas wish list!

Totally agree with you, Spongebob - MES is a genius, no doubt, but I've never agreed wirh his line that "if it's me and your granny on bongos, it's The Fall". The Fall ain't The Fall without Steve Hanley (or Karl Burns or Craig Scanlon).

+1!

I finished it in 4 days - all 400 pages. It's an awesome read, but quite depressing at it approaches the end. Don't wait until Christmas - it's brilliant!

I was lucky enough to catch the band in November 1997 (with SH and KB), not long before the US bust up. Rates as one of the best, if oddest, gigs I've ever seen. The tension on that stage was, to quote MES, a powder-keg! It was like the whole band was going to explode right in front of me - what happened a few months later was no surprise. They played the riff to 'Masquerade' for about 5+ minutes before MES appeared - it looked like he wasn't coming on...and from their worried glances, they didn't think he was either!

Seen them twice since then - but nowhere near as good. The difference made by SH - and without a doubt KB - is immense. No coincidence that for me, the albums made since '97 aren't a patch on those days. If I pick up a Fall LP, it's got to have our man Steve on the bottom end. :)

It's a good book but as said above, quite depressing. Pretty much the complete antithesis of Alex James's book in its descriptions of life on the road. I've seen The Fall about 25 times since 1987, number 26 coming up at The Brudenell. Sadly though I never got to see Karl Burns play. Hanley remains my favourite Fall bass player by a mile.