Why become a member? ×

Just been asked to join a swing band!

stingrayPete1977

I'm not even on facebook anymore yet my number gets around, that is my first call specifically for DB though! Maybe my intonation wasn't as bad as I thought at the last gig :D

I haven't got time to do it though as I have agreed to potentially quite a few function band gigs on elec bass.

Anyone near Stafford that fancies getting involved in a new swing band project let me know, not much money in it yet but could be fun.

The guy is called Pete Jones, he is just getting people together now. He gave me a list of artists I'd not heard of other than Ray Charles :D He mentioned 40s era?

Probably perfect to get me playing better in a short period of time but I haven't got time so I told him straight. He has asked a few jazzers but they all just wanted to know how much cash was involved, I dont think he even has a gig for it yet.

Thanks Geoff, I was pleased with how good the mag pickup sounded especially when you were playing,lol. We should have tried it through one of Daves big amps, it sounds huge in my 2x12.
From all the basses I tried I found yours, mine and Keith Stentor student to be the most similar in feel. I really enjoyed it :)

Sounds like one of those 'nostalgia' bands. Swing bands are often a poor bet financially because they need to have large horn sections so have to charge higher fees so don't get bookings so fall apart when everyone starts getting paid work and can't find deps. They are often a great outlet for musicians who want to get involved in that kind of thing for aesthetic reasons rather than musicians who want to make a living out of it!! DO it, though. It will be fun and the bass chair is usually fairly easy to dep out as its all pretty straight forward.

I think you are right Bilbo, I haven't got the time to do it anyway with the other two projects already.

Thanks Roger, I was really pleased with the mag pickup sound, I think we can put this giant P Bass myth to bed can't we, I was expecting it to stick out like a sore thumb against the other amplified basses in the room but it just sounded like a DB to me. I'm also glad people liked my gedo and its good that you lot have seen a few in the flesh now for the next "im after a cheap double bass thread" :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pete,

If the band is looking into the third wave swing revival
Try listening to[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Z4RWZa9WAyoutu.be/GKpVGKOa2xs"] Big Bad Voodoo Daddy[/url], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6bQBAW_Lhk"]Royal Crown Revue[/url] and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY"]Cherry poppin daddies[/url] there is also [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uiYp8xKjLM"]Squirrel Nut zippers[/url] and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBFA5GvAA78"]Lavay Smith and her red hot Skillet lickers[/url]

First three are horn heavy.

Hope it helps

Owencf

I play with a similar band occasionally, playing dance clubs, military unit reunions, private parties, etc. A few years ago, I noticed on one of the pieces the band just didn't swing. I listened carefully. They were in tune, on time, and in style, but it lacked that last bit of "je ne sais quoi" to really swing. It was me. My electric bass, although I was playing in style, in tune, on time, etc., had too much natural compression and push. That's when I took a deep breath, did my research, and purchased and set up a double bass. I practiced at home for a couple of months before taking it to rehearsal. When I did, and we played the same song, the swing was back in the band. It does make a difference. Congratulations on the gig!

Well done for getting into the swing band stuff. I work with quite a few of the big bands as a dep in Lancashire. I've been on DB for about 1 1/2 years. Previously played electric and studied violin. So some major retraining for DB. Mainly used Simandl for the shifts/bowing etc, and Constructing Walking Jazz Bass Lines books for the swing and ability to play in hard to read keys eg Ab minor. The thing is with the swing stuff you need to be fluent in all the keys up into the second octave, which takes some serious study for shifts and knowing your way round the fingerboard. Also I tend to play along on my iPod to swing stuff like Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Billy Holiday etc. it's great for your ear and style development. And it's good to pick out little riffs and solos from the other instruments and get more of a feel for the chords. If your doing swing you'll need to be able to busk. I've often put the wrong piece of music on my stand, or its fallen off or blown away. And the you need to wing it and use your ears. And when your playing with 16 or so players and a vocalist it might not be just you who makes a mistake! But I absolutely love it and intend to keep with the standards for many years to come, as there is so many ways these can be played, rehashed, different lineups of musicians etc.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1414011868' post='2584913']
.....I wish I'd got into theory/reading much earlier!
[/quote]
[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1414046771' post='2585052']
Yup. Regrets...where's that theory book?
:)
[/quote]
Yup! Same boat :) -The five phone lines outside my living room window help and a couple of decent apps on my iphone :)