Why become a member? ×

EUB with bow

andybass87

Been looking at purchasing a cheapish EUB for first time, possibly a stagg or one of the thomann offerings. Was just wondering if anyone has any videos/sound clips of one of these basses being used with a bow!? Cant find anything on youtube, and all pictures on here show people using them without a bow! Please also let me know if I am being completely dense and they cant be used with a bow!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Silvint' timestamp='1413979298' post='2584298']
Hi there,...
[/quote]

Good afteroon, Silvint, and ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

Thanks for sharing the video; very refreshing to hear such a piece. Well done.

Edited by Dad3353

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends on the neck profile.

If the EUB has a radiused fingerboard, then no problems - if it's flat then it's going to be really blimming hard at best.

The NS and Eminence has a radiused fingerboard but I have a nagging idea that the Stagg doesn't, although I could be wrong.

The Stagg can be bowed.. IIRC it's on the scratchy side for my tastes when set to a good pizz tone, but that's personal taste and suitable EQing (p'raps with an EQ pedal for ease of switching back and forth) may well yield results pleasing to your own ears.

[quote name='Silvint' timestamp='1413979298' post='2584298']
Hi there,

I have made a video using my NXT 5 (with a high C). I have used some EQ and reverb and the sound goes through my GK 200MB amp.
I hope that helps!

[media]http://youtu.be/u1h-zX3c5Xc[/media]
[/quote]

That is really nice!

What EQ and reverb unit did you use? And what settings?

thanks!

The one thing to really watch (I found anyway) as a newbie bower on EUB is the dramatic increase in volume. You might want to keep a volume pedal handy until you're used to it. I bowed a lot on my NS Wav and it worked fine, I've just got a Yamaha Silent Bass and the tone is even better although takes some work as I'm not used to "real" double bass strings :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with Alun ... have a Stagg (hopefully not for much longer) and when bowing it gains a lot of volume, but can be made to sound nice. The Yamaha SLB though sounds much better a lot easier ... it does cost 8x more, so you get what you pay for! ;)