Why become a member? ×

Radial DI doubt

Markolinni

Hello,

I have one doubt, and hope that someone can help me.
I have read about di Box, and i am almost decided to a Radial DI.

Now, i have one doubt, that is, will i go for a passive or active?
I am heading for the Radial PRODI or the PRO48 .

Normally, they say to apply the thumb rule, witch ok to me. I play (now) with a G&L with have a very hot output, so for this wil go throught a passive DI.
But in a future if i go with a passive bass, then will probably need to by an active di.

So, what i want to question those who use them, can i run my G&L with an active DI and aplly the -15db to turn down the signal, and instead of buy 2 di, only have 1 active, that (hope) will suit for both?
I hit the strings with a relative low force, so i believe that won't have problem, but i would like to know more information.

Thank you all :)

I don't see any reason why the passive bass shouldn't work with the passive DI, unless you have particularly long cable runs or very low output from your bass that can't be corrected at the desk. Less chance of unwanted noise with the passive too.

Edited by Roland Rock

With an active bass straight into the active DI you should be fine...might need to use the input pad, but that's all. Where you may have problems is using a line level output from an amp or preamp - then you might run out of headroom and make horrible noises. Remember it will need power (battery, phantom or adapter).

With a passive DI you won't have any headroom issues, but you also won't get the best sound plugging a passive bass direct into it...but you can plug the same passive bass into any preamp/amp and then run the passive DI from that.

I'd just buy the passive DI, and carry it everywhere!

Passive DI's can be muddy sounding with a passive bass, on both the DI send and the linked amp due to the lower input impedance. Even a high quality box like the Radial has an input impedance of 140k which will have an audible effect. Some people don't mind that, but I don't like what it does to the sound. If you want it to work well with both active and passive basses, I'd choose the active DI.

thank you all,
I mainly play (for now) with the amp DI, but my future ideia is to go ampless, witch means, conenct the bass to the DI, and send directy throught the DI to the FOH, and use de monition on stage to lead me.
We use a 30mt (100ft) cable to go from the stage to FOH.
I don't use any pedals, is the basse directy.
My idea is to also prevent, because im selling the atk to go for a lakland DJ5 (passive) and keep also the G&L (active).

thank you

Edited by Markolinni

I have one of these: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pa-live/detail.asp?stock=13092511441632&gclid=CjwKEAjwns6hBRDTpb_jkbTv1UYSJACBhberuADhFDfmjhErm-fuHsku77wHrw6KjsAt0415_-G4URoCHJXw_wcB

It's an excellent box, it's built like a tank and totally reliable, and it sounds great to my ears ... your ears may be different!

I have had no problems using it with passive basses (mainly Fender Precision).

BUT if I was only going to own just one DI box then I'd go with a Sansamp BDDI or similar.

A studio-quality DI box like the Radial is superb for some purposes, but it not very versatile. A BDDI or MXR pre-amp pedal offers so many more possibilities.

I'd agree with that - if you are going ampless, then a preamp/DI is a better bet as it gives you many more options and will probably provide a more "realistic" sound for the PA. Any of the Sansamps..or Aguilar Tone Hammer or Sadowsky etc Pick them up used and you can try a few out to see which you like, then sell any you don't get on with.

Thank you for your input.

Bassically the proDI is the model below that one.
For the pursose (simply send the signal to the DI) will be enought, is what i make actually with my amp (in a pre eq mode). IS what i want basiclly ;)

The other option, instead of a DI, is to keep running my amp (streamliner 600) without any cab, witch is possible, and send through the DI the signal in a Pre eq, and send to me through a FX Send for a small mixer, and receive there the stage monitor and mix to me. :)

Hmm.. i will search about them.. i don't know how they work...

Edited by Markolinni

Guest FretNoMore

It's a bit down to pwrsonal taste if course, but the bass straight into the PA (via a clean DI) isn't usually a nice sound in my opinion. I second the suggestion of getting something more preamp like to give you a bit of the coloration you'd get from your amp. Maybe a Tech 21 VT Bass DI, to give you EQ and the option of adding a touch of crunch to make the sound less sterile.

Edited by FretNoMore

I look in youtube for them. Seems interesesting... but.. ...I confess this is a new world for me :S

- How can i make the sound? Listen from the stage mixer what it sound? Or by the headphones?
- My bass is active and hot (GL L2500). it is better to play it in passive mode because the internal preamp?

I will have to found someone near me with one of this little things to see how it works.
The streamliner pre eq DI out is what you call of "Dry Signal"?
This, compare to it, is like pass it to post EQ? But, will this have one type of sound, that probably is good to me, but mad for the FOH sound guy?

help :S please? :)

Front of house can get upset if they know you're sending a post eq signal...but often the objection is based on a pre-judgement that you will be using heavy handed eq (lots of boost...no mids...too much treble etc) and also changing your settings all night. Neither has to be true. The engineer really wants to know that they are dealing with a fairly neutral tone to start with, and that it won't keep changing during the performance, when they have lots of other things to be looking (and hopefully listening) out for. Dry is another term for pre-eq and Wet is another term for post-eq. You sometimes also see Direct used for pre-eq and Line for post -eq.

There is no problem with sending an already active bass into another preamp/DI, but you should be careful with the eq settings through your chosen signal chain. Don't boost or cut too much and everything will be fine. Your aim is a set up you like the sound of and can then forget about and get on with the playing.