Why become a member? ×

Re-Finishing a Mahogany Guitar

JamieMillsBass

OK, here's the deal.

I bought an Epiphone Zakk Wylde sig on the cheap a while back. It has had the 'swirly' finish removed and I've since had the bright idea of trying to finish it myself. I had no idea there were so many different options for finishing a guitar!

My plan is a satin all black guitar with all black hardware, and I want to put the Black Sabbath 'Angel' logo in the area just behind the bridge in white or grey.

So, some questions;

1. Do I need grain filler? From what I can see, I do with mahogany
2. Do I need primer, again, from what I can read, I think I will
3. How do I get a satin finish. From what I can gather, polyurathane is my best bet, but to get a satin finish I need to sand down the 'glossyness'. Is there an easier way for a beginner to do this (e.g buying specific satin polyurathane?)
4. For the angel logo, which would be best, stencil or decal?

I think that is all I will bombard you with for now. Your help is very much appreciated!

1. Probably
2. Probably
3. You can buy Satin poly or Nitro - poly is easier to work with. put the black on first, then layer up coats of satin over the top. Don't fall in to the trap of thinking it's easier with satin as its not as shiny either, it will show up every imperfection in the finish. go with light coats and lots of them. lightly rub between to keep it smooth.
4. decal - as you can always remove it later

good luck!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I use Ronseal Hardglaze matt (not tried satin but they do that too). I thin it down c 30% with white spirit and wipe it on using a standard microfibre cloth (£3-£4 in homebase or sainsburys for a pack of 4), using very thin coats so I don't end up with 'brush' lines. I leave it to fully dry, then flatten it with wet n dry, then give it a final couple more very thin coats.

As brensabre79 says, matt and silk still shows imperfections so you need to make sure the finish - before varnishing - is tickety-boo.

Albeit it is a gloss finish,[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/244071-fender-precision-lyte-body-refinish/"] I show how I go about it on this thread [/url] This was PaulS's Precision Lyte body.

Hope this helps
Andy

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1412697782' post='2571115']
1. Probably
2. Probably
3. You can buy Satin poly or Nitro - poly is easier to work with. [b]put the black on first[/b], then layer up coats of satin over the top. Don't fall in to the trap of thinking it's easier with satin as its not as shiny either, it will show up every imperfection in the finish. go with light coats and lots of them. lightly rub between to keep it smooth.
4. decal - as you can always remove it later

good luck!
[/quote]

Put the black on first? I was under the impression that if I bought stain black Poly, that was all I needed to put on, can you clarify the above a little? It looks like I have some more reading to do, not sure I even understand the basic fundamentals yet!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1412697782' post='2571115']
Don't fall in to the trap of thinking it's easier with satin as its not as shiny either, it will show up every imperfection in the finish.[/quote]

Even with a perfect finish, satin will show shiny wear marks where you anchor your preferred body part. I've got a black satin bass with mahogany body and would love to do the reverse :(

[quote name='JamieMillsBass' timestamp='1412758688' post='2571608']
Put the black on first? I was under the impression that if I bought stain black Poly, that was all I needed to put on, can you clarify the above a little? It looks like I have some more reading to do, not sure I even understand the basic fundamentals yet!
[/quote]
Very difficult to get the right finish AND colour using an all in one varnish. Also, a lacquer/varnish over the black (probably less so with satin, but certainly with gloss), that is built up to an acceptable thickness, adds considerable depth to the colour (even on black!).

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1412764751' post='2571705']
Very difficult to get the right finish AND colour using an all in one varnish. Also, a lacquer/varnish over the black (probably less so with satin, but certainly with gloss), that is built up to an acceptable thickness, adds considerable depth to the colour (even on black!).
[/quote]

Thanks for that, great job on the bass by the way. If mine ends up even a quarter as well finished as that, I'll be a happy bunny!