Why become a member? ×

Effects, pedals, loopers OMG my brain hurts

scoobystig

Ok let me set the scene, up until now I have had a bass guitar connected to an amp twiddled some knobs and played
I did go quite exotic and buy a wireless system so I could walk around the stage in a postering manor and not trip over

Well now I want to add more to the overall sound of the band, we are a 3 piece heavy rock covers band which play a variety of typical power chord and riffing covers
So in some songs I want to thicken my sound slightly while the guitarist is playing a solo to try and fill some of the hole left, in other songs I am emulating a rhythmn guitarist as well either by playing power chords or riffs through an akai unibass and into a separate guitar amp

So this is what is in my head and I want to know if it's possible and where I can source pedal, switchers or loopers to achieve it

I have 2x bases both on shure wireless packs to 1x common wireless receiver so I switch guitars about and switch on or off the TX to suit
From here I output the wireless into the amp, then use the DI out pre EQ to send to the unibass pedal and from there to the guitar amp

So first question can I put a splitter or something permanently here to separate out 1x signal to go to my bass rig and 1x signal to the unibass hence leaving the DI available for sending to house PA's but with out degrading the bass signal

From here I need to follow 2 routes, we'll cover the guitar first,

From the splitter to the unibass but I also want a twin footswitch alongside this, one to latch either this chain on or off, this way I can leave the unibass permanently on and set and the second as a momentary switch working in parallel with the latch
So in effect I can switch it on and leave it on with the latch switch and other times I can have it off, but press the non latch pedal to get a quick power chord to emphasis certain parts
I will also be looking at a wah wah pedal in this line as well and then off to the guitar amp, all guitar distortion and effect is done from the amp
I have seen the boss twin pedal but not sure if this could achieve the above

Next is the bass path, so from the splitter to the input of the amp and then basically out of the pre amp out to a twin footswitch as above, but to work with different polarity so one to switch the bass in and out on a latch, the other as a non latching mute, so no bass signal is allowed through while switch is pressed but immediately restored upon release of the button
This would allow me to play guitar parts without bass present but then to switch in the bass when required
An example of this would be paranoid where I play the entire intro as the guitar before then bringing the bass in with the drums

I would also like to look at maybe a chorus or Octaver pedal in this loop as well for a bit of effect, the Octaver would be used where just the bass is covering the rhythmn during a solo but the bass line doesn't lend it self to having the unibass switched in as it's not on root notes etc

Later on down the road I would like to add a synth pedal to get a keyboard type effect for playing for example the keyboard intro to bon jovi's lay your hands on me

Is this as complicated as it sounds in my head ????

As you can tell I'm completely new to this effect arena and so all advice is welcome

Thanks

The Unibass has 2 outputs, so no need to split your signal, you can drive an amp from each output. Just plug your bass straight into the Unibass rather than hit your bass preamp first.

You can then turn the guitar on and off by turning the Unibass on and off. Then if you want to be able to drop your bass out, easiest solution is to use a tuner to mute that line.

Edited by dannybuoy

Yes I had considered this, but the basses are on wireless packs and so the receiver is at the amp already, seems daft to run it out to a pedal and back again
Wanted to try and keep the bass to the amp as clean as possible

I think I am going to build a remote control relay module to site between the pre amp out and power amp in connections to work as a mute button, that way I can have 2 foot switches (latching and momentary) working in parallel to cause the mute depending upon whether I need it muted for a couple of notes or a whole passage

And the same for an effect loop around the unibass to either latch in or momentary switch in

Another reason is the unibass might not stay as it's tracking over multiple notes suffers, so might get switched out for a pog or even that new pitchfork