Why become a member? ×

Poll: Name The Bass Amplifier - Ideas Please...

Sean

Hi All

I'm having a bass amp built by Martin Wheelan at [url="http://www.martamp.com/amps.html"]MJW Amplification[/url] and as it's his first bass amp build since he left Matamp, we're looking for a name for it. Most of Martin's guitar amps have names rather than alphanumeric monikers e.g.

Orion
Cub
Bantam
Electra
Goldstar
V6-20 (the exception)

Most of the names come from vintage motorcycles but that's not particularly important or relevant in this case. One discarded suggestion so far is [i]Dominator;[/i] I didn't fancy standing on stage with my[i] Dominator [/i]behind be!

I'd like it to have a proper name if possible, rather than say, MJW200B. The amp is a 200 watt 2-channel all-valve hand-wired monster with 4 x KT88 power valves, very like a Matamp GT200B or Orange AD200B. It's going to have the power section switchable from 200 to 100 to 50 watts. It's going to be sea foam green tolex with black hardware.

When I've got a load of names, I'll do a poll and we'll see what wins.

So here's my suggestion to get started:

[font=verdana, sans-serif][size=3]My own preference is [/size][/font][i]Quattro - [/i][font=verdana, sans-serif][size=3]the original Audi Sport Quattro is my favourite car, the amp's got 4 big power valves (Quattrovalvole anyone?) and it implies something exciting. [/size][/font]

Your go...

Edited by Sean

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1412771738' post='2571828']
You might run into trademark issues with 'Quattro' as it's registered by Audi ;)

Something with 'valve' in the name like 'Valvolicious' perhaps?
[/quote]
Only a problem if they have registered it in the category that includes musical instruments.

Trace built a model call the Quatravalve back in the early 90's and V6 in the late 90's.

Phil Jones currently make a guitar amp call the Cub.

WEM built an amp called the Dominator back in the 60's.

The amps need some marketing thought behind them - some key associations between the amp line and something his target market already thinks is cool. Mark Gooday did it something similar with Ashdown and associations with classic English motoring.