Why become a member? ×

dUg Pinnick Tech 21 NYC Ultra Bass 1000

NancyJohnson

Mental trying to import one, especially a used one. The one currently on eBay (Sam Ash seller) will set you back £1,230, plus shipping and then you'd need to factor in duty and so forth. And a transformer.

You could save a few hundred by contacting Tech 21 direct and ask them to ship you a 240v version direct.

Yeah I thought that, just did Quick sums and on the website ordering before import it sits at £1600.
You would think in an amp that expensive they would have universal power supply....

Shame I don't have 3 kidneys so I could sell one or win more than £3 on the thunderball lotto...

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1500407034' post='3337585']
Well if you can't buy the amp

How about this

https://www.facebook.com/jon.willis.7906/posts/1896917300569338
[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that. Sounds fantastic. I look forward to trying it or getting one when it comes out early next year. I'd be very interested in what the control layout is and if it's the same as the amp or not.

If this pedal ends up being horrifically expensive then I'm probably much less interested. Not that I'm sure what's equivalent. Maybe the Darkglass Alpha Omega? That's about £300 or so. I guess we can wait and see.

Sounds brilliant though.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1500414612' post='3337658']
I think it will be a £3-500 bracket.

If it does produce that sound at a quarter or the dug amp price it's a winner
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the thing though isn't it? A quarter of the price here is actually more than £600 wheras in the US that'd be $400. Not that I think it'll be that much over here of course as I don't believe anyone would buy it at that price. To put that into context my PSA 1.1 was £500 in 2009 and that's got functionality and flexibility in spades. I consider it my favourite preamp of all time actually.

I appreciate with the form being distilled down to what looks like the Bass Flyrig chassis, some functionality will inevitably be lost (more than likely the multiple XLRs if I were to guess), but I think once you push past £350 for a pedal things are getting quite difficult to justify. Even Darkglass haven't went past that marker yet. They will eventually of course, but I'd imagine that they'd need someone even more renowned for dirt than Jon Stockman to do that. Justin Chancellor maybe? However I digress.

What I'd really like is presets. Even if it were just 3 like the programmable Sansamp. Do that, or preferably make it controllable by midi and that's the point I'd go to more than £4-500 for it as it'd be absolutely unbeatable and worth the price. I guess we can wait and see come January what the pricing structure might be.

All valid points - i messaged tech21 a while back to get a ball park price, obviously cannot push them when it was announced and their quote to me was the the best guess was under 500 in both dollars and sterling.

Midi is a great idea esp if you have their midi moose or the like.

i suppose to some degree if tis in front the amp, the 'sound' can be achieved and you can tweak your amps EQ a little to flesh out

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1500414612' post='3337658']
I think it will be a £3-500 bracket.

If it does produce that sound at a quarter or the dug amp price it's a winner
[/quote]

I've just seen the price of the amp. Gear4music have them for order at £2549

Quarter price would be £637

No frakking way.

As i posted earlier, words straight from TECH 21's mouth.......

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1500461740' post='3337931']
All valid points - i messaged tech21 a while back to get a ball park price, obviously cannot push them when it was announced and their quote to me was the the best guess was under 500 in both dollars and sterling.

Midi is a great idea esp if you have their midi moose or the like.

i suppose to some degree if tis in front the amp, the 'sound' can be achieved and you can tweak your amps EQ a little to flesh out
[/quote]

Your maths is a little off, and you can get B-stocks ex demo's for about £1600 so its still game on.

It will be under 500 clams

i could have always said 1/5, 1/6 or 1/7 of the price, makes it sound a better deal....

Edited by Cuzzie

We shall indeed see. From the pictures of the chassis, I think that the crossover may prove to be fixed rather than variable. Certainly, the xlr outs appear to have been limited to one as you would expect.

In truth, I can get the vast majority of this sound with my PSA 1.1 and a bit of delicate EQ.

Let's be fair, there will be no midi or presets on this. What you're getting is a stompbox/preamp. An exceptional one and one at the moment without peer, but that's what it is if you choose to look at it uncharitably. A distortion pedal. Say those last 3 words next to "£450" and you'd imagine they might not sell many regardless as to how good it sounds. Which is a pity.

I'd be much more interested in what functionality they've had to cut out to fit it in that box and how that changes the pedal from the amp. I guess then people would be able to draw a more accurate conclusion of where they felt the line of it being too expensive would lie.

I agree that with my current set up I can pretty much get the sound of the dUg, it's probably taken about the same amount of money as just getting the amp, but it does offer more.

I'll post a link to the picture of the inside which is mainly space, so if you take the power amp out and the need to cool it, maybe there is room inside a box....(bad pun I know)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Bass/comments/5032d4/got_my_tech_21_dug_ultrabass_1000_amp_excellent/

All in all, you have to love Tech21...they are making some pant-wettingly fantastic gear at the moment (and you can quote me there, Mr Barta). Had it not been a case of freeing up funds to cover my new Lull, I'd have been over the GED2112 like the proverbial tramp on chips. If that dUg thing comes out in rack format, I'll probably end up with a 6U rack with both of them in it or a pair of 4Us.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2017 at 15:17, Cuzzie said:

Just heard from Tech21

dUg pedal will be at NAMM in January and released shortly after

I think the key words here are 'released shortly after'.  It seemed a lifetime for the GED2112 to drop...10-12 months, while the wait was worth it, I only have so many 10-12 months left!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

under $300 Street,looking very good!

Yeah, so probably £350 here when it comes out. I'd certainly be intrigued to try one. Pity it doesn't have presets. I guess the tuner is useful, but since I don't use pedals the space it's taken up is a bit of a waste of the chasis. For me at least. I bet it'll absolutely kill though.

It would be good if it came in at £300, that would be pretty darn cool, I suppose as you mentioned earlier it is kind of preset in that it has fixed crossover points as the HPF and the LPF are fixed.

You’ll get a dUg sound, you’ll get a fat and full clean sound, and then something inbetween, it’s a dUg flyrig.

Rumour is he used it on his Grinder Blues European tour, left the dUg amp at home and just used whatever backline he was given and got his sound, that is pretty cool

• 2 months later...