Why become a member? ×

Wayward Basses night at The Islington November 1st

Spoombung

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5][b]Wayward Basses night at the Islington is a celebration of the more experimental, alternative side of the bass-playing world with a cast of stellar players.[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[b]Twinscapes[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] is the joint collaboration between two creative and distinctive bass players: Italian bassist and composer [/size][/font][/color][b]Lorenzo Feliciati[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](Naked Truth/Berserk!) and [/size][/font][/color][b]Colin Edwin[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3], best known as a member of highly regarded progressive rock band Porcupine Tree and uncategorizable experimentalists Metallic Taste of Blood.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Coming together for a one-off impromptu live performance in early 2013, the pair sought to build on their instant chemistry by developing their sound and recording together.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Twinscapes previewed their new material at the London Bass Guitar Show in March 2014 and further live performances in both Italy and the UK are set for late 2014. Expect rich soundscapes, haunting themes, propulsive rhythms and deep low end.[/size][/font][/color]

[i]"There are only a handful of improvisational releases that could be called one of the best recordings for the year across any genre, this is one". – Critical -Jazz.com[/i]

[i]"Steeped in rich complexion and gleaming musicianship" - Something Else reviews[/i]

[i]"A melange of dreamy and Fiery soundscapes… a soulful slice of low end heaven"- Bass Player Magazine[/i]

[i]" Genuine, intuitive simpatico, a subtle contender for the years first truly great instrumental album" - CRP Magazine[/i]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/size][/font][/color]
[b]Prescott[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] are an instrumental trio of bass player, [/size][/font][/color][b]Kev Hopper[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] (Stump) keyboard player, Rhodri Marsden (Scritti Politti) and drummer, Frank Byng (Snorkel). The band has attracted rave reviews for their first album, One Did, and their peculiar brand of repetitive minimalism and ‘micro-riffing’. Bassist, Kev Hopper first came to attention in the eighties band, Stump and here in Prescott, his distinctive style has been honed, distilled and poured into a different context to create a startling new band sound.[/size][/font][/color]

[i]"...Hopper revels in angular mischief throughout One Did's 11 gleefully perverse instrumentals. The finest moments here - the tense, Can-like shuffle of Didism; the twitching, cinematic jazz menace of Philby Flies - are throwbacks to Stump's heroically non-conformist clatter, and a tantalising glimpse of what's in store if Hopper continues this joyously wayward course." -Prog Magazine[/i]

[i]"…the wildly eccentric melodic and harmonic choices and snare-tight but restless compositional arrangements make this a remarkably confrontational and uncomfortable (albeit totally compelling) listen… As far as British-politician-themed art-rock bands go, Prescott are a unique and mischievous proposition…" [The List[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Lauded by press and public alike, [/size][/font][/color][b]Steve Lawson's[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] stunning, otherworldly cinematic soundscapes, made with nothing but a bass guitar and a bewildering array of pedals have helped make him the most celebrated solo bassist in the UK. He has toured the world as solo artist, sideman and clinician/educator and has produced a staggering 36 solo and collaborative releases in the last 15 years.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]'Lawson's writing and his phenomenal command of the possibilities of looping creates a compelling and surprising variety of sounds one would never imagine the bass capable of producing.' – Jazzwise[/size][/font][/color]

[i]'Steve Lawson is a brilliant musician. I've known about him and listened to him for many years. He may not be one of the most famous bassists but he is definitely one of the most talented' – Victor Wooten[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color]