Why become a member? ×

Finally it's here ( Peavey content )

kodiakblair

After a hell of a last few years that ended with the bank taking everything including the house I had a change in thinking and with the family gone and no creditors
me and the cat had a fresh start.

He eats Whiskas and I indulge in basses. And those basses are increasingly Peaveys. Having heard about the Super Ferrite pickups but not trying them it was time to
look for one.

This 85 Patriot arrived from Minnesota today.1st time buying from the States had me nervous as hell and the ebay global shipping agent using My Hermes didn't help,
but it's here with no real problems.

[attachment=173360:Patriot (2).jpg]

I expected dings and scratches on a nearly 30 year old bass and I got them but if it was mint I'd wonder what was up with it and why it was never played.Out the box the 1st
thing I notice was the strings were a mile high due to the truss rod needing adjusted,whether it's the change in climate or the previous owner not knowing how to do it I can't
say. It's light enough for me at 10lbs and when the neck settles down it'll really be a joy to play. The necks quite wide 44mm at the nut but the profile is shallow enough it feels really comfortable It's tuned BEAD just now because I don't want too much tension on the neck.

Even with the old dead strings this thing has presence, the P bass on steroids claim has some truth.

It worked out £190 with the postage and tax etc and I'll be honest there's a lot of good used basses to be had for that kind of money but I don't feel robbed.
I've concerns about the neck bow as I've no idea how long it's been like that, only time will tell.

Hi AT

The weeman deserves the Whiskas, he stuck around through some right tough times. I'd been holding off mentioning this one but it's done.

A few weeks back I bought a Zodiac DE body from Thunderbird with the idea of stealing the neck from the Zodiac EX and using Entwistle pickups.
Well that idea didn't work the EX was 20 frets and the DE is 21, so on Wednesday I was going to move the bridge but the Patriot was in My Hermes limbo
and I was a bit stressed.

That's when Peavey UK put some Millennium necks on ebay. Problem solved but it wasn't due till Tuesday and I'm off to England that day.Amazing service
from Peavey it arrived today along with the Entwistles so Top Marks to both for really fast delivery.

So tonight another Peavey was born. Westone tuners,Millennium neck,Zodiac DE body,Entwistle XBN pickups,old BBOT bridge and Nexus strings.

[attachment=173435:Zodiac DE (5).jpg]

Crap photo I've no idea how to snap a Gloss Black and Chrome body indoors using a £5 camera :)

Thanks for the congrats. The neck's a wee bit better today but she's 29 years old and just travelled 5000 miles so wee adjustments over time are the plan.

There's something on the way that I'm quite excited about but I'm saying nothing till it's here.

I too have bought one of the necks from e bay and a complete new,old stock Foundation body. Hopefully the neck will marry up with the body ok,jsy took a chance! But at £30 and £50,it would have been silly not to.....well, that's what I told the wife!!

Another Falkirk man and one with outstanding taste too.

I measured my Foundation then 3 Millennium necks using the 1st ruler that was at hand and get 62mm at the neck pocket and 61mm on the necks.
But I'm a joiner and don't believe 1mm is a size :) Metal ruler, pocket cut 20 years ago and necks all done at different times I'd be surprised if there
wasn't 1mm.

It'll drop in no bother. The pockets on both my Foundations are bigger than the necks so dinnae concern yoursel too much. The Foundation on ebay is at
£161 just now so you've saved £80. Result.

Guilty as charged!! Maybe it's that old inbuild tight fistedness that leads us to those wonderful bargain USA made Peavey bass guitars! I'd rather think we have an ear for a bargain rather than eye! My first Peavey,bought a few months ago on e bay cost around £42. It is a red Peavey Forum and was covered in stickers. Managed to get them off and now gig with it. It sounds great. I play it through the TC Electronic 1x15 bass combo. Mainly pub gigs,it does the job.Soon as the Fury arrives I will get pictures up of both and hopefully the body and neck of the Foundation bass will arrive before the end of the week. I don't plan on buying anymore Peavey bass guitars.....(The wife walked in the room!!)

[attachment=173650:DSCN0506.JPG]

Guilty-foundation with original knobs and everything else-super ferrites-check.Silent plugged in and no scratchy pots ,not bad for a 30 year old bass
The other one is a Forum 95,18v active and VFL pick up.The only difference apart from electronics and my Musicman is the pick up placing,more to the bridge on a Musicman.Bigger beefy sound than a Musicman.

Well the Fury arrived today (pics to follow) It was as described,with a couple of small chinks on the body. Might get some white touch up paint or leave it as is! Feels pretty light,not as heavy as my forum. As it was strung with flat wounds,I didn't really get a true idea of the sound. Sure it had that p bass thump,but I need it to ring out a bit more,so first job,some round wound strings. I noticed a slight rattle coming from the headstock,turns out the wing type bit of the tuner is loose on the stalk. It had been glued in at some point. A wee repair needed there then....superglue time! Volume control has a slight crackle,so scratchplate off and a squirt of electrical cleaner hopefully will cure it. The neck is very thin,but nice and straight. That's about all for now,will have a go later when the strings are changed,then it will be used on Friday night in Edinburgh at the Central Bar Leith.Will it be a keeper......ask me after the gig! (I say that all the time,I will get bored with it,it's a given!!)

[attachment=173651:Peavey guitars 001.JPG][attachment=173652:Peavey guitars 003.JPG]Pictures of the Fury and Forum. The Forum is active and at the moment,still the best of the 2 guitars. Used it at a few gigs now and it has a monster sound!! The Fury is passive,reminds me a lot of an Ibanez Blazer bass I had back in the day.

Cheers.....I was going to keep the flatwounds on it,but decided to test it out at a gig first. Other guitars in the house at the moment are Musicman Sub Bass (USA) Yamaha RBX 775,The 2 Peaveys and an Encore P Bass,early 90;s made in India model.

Edited by theplumber

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1413052196' post='2574568']
The Foundation on ebay is at
£161 just now so you've saved £80. Result.
[/quote]

That Foundation is now mine! Reckon I slightly overpaid at £190 but my first bass was the exact same model in red, so for nostalgia's sake - plus having a killer bass for my new band - I'm not totally bummed out about the whole thing.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1413352696' post='2577341']
Jono . what's overpaid about it. Cheaper than a squier.

And another Peavey comes to Scotland.
[/quote]

My original one was £50! :lol:

That was about 14 years ago though, but I see Peavey's go for silly prices. A Foundation went for about £80 recently, but it was sunburst & rosewood, and I really wanted the same model as my old one. I nearly bought a second-hand Japanese Squier but thought I'd have a quick search for a Foundation at the weekend and there it was, exactly the bass I was looking for: same version but black and maple! Must have been fate!

If this was Talkbass we'd have to assign each other numbers and start a club!

Nice one! Let us all know what you think of the Foundation! I put mine together yesterday(pictures to follow) The neck is from a Millenium so needed about 1mm taken off,but it did fit in the pocket ok.Sounded good,didn't have to adjust it in anyway,fitted some flatwound strings and its good to go. I will use it on Friday night at my next gig. The neck and body came from Ebay as Peavey UK are closing down their operation in Corby. So loads of stuff coming up just now. I know the neck was made in Indonisia,but not sure about the body. As far as I know,the Foundations are all USA made,but maybe some of the later ones were made abroad. It is old,new stock,so brand new body and neck for total of £80! As I am a bit skint at the moment,I was not popular with the wife for buying these items plus a Peavey Fury bass in the one week,although I did sell off a guitar to help fund the new stuff. But as we need a new kitchen at the moment,the good news of the Peavey guitars did not for some reason cheer her up. So,after trying these guitars out,I will decide what I am keeping in my collection....maybe all of them!!.....or maybe not!

I'm in two minds about whether or not to pick up the T-40 neck that's on ebay just now to put on the Foundation. It's ridiculously cheap, but I want to replace the vol/vol/tone setup with master vol/tone/3-way switch and don't have the cash for both. I'll probably leave the neck now I think about it as getting the right tuners to fit will be pricey too.

I'll wait and see how the Peavey is when it arrives but I think the new wiring loom and a heavier bridge will probably be the only appointments.