Why become a member? ×

Combo advice

dudi8

Haven't you got a Tecamp Puma head? Just add a Crazy 8 cab and buy a padded cajon bag and you will have a small neat modular, highly transportable rig. Get.a bigger cab for when playing electric bass only.

If you have to go combo route I prefer Acoustic Image to Phil Jones as AI has the useful extra features for DB including the high pass filter and phase switch. Both are good though. Not tried Barabass but it looks retro cool!

If you don't end up with a head or combo with high pass and phase, I highly recommend getting an fdeck pedal to put in front

Edited by Clarky

In which case I would recommend an Acoustic Image Ten 2 combo as best sounding with DB and very clean with electric bass (you may need to put a Sansamp type pedal in front if you want a warmer, more overdriven sound). Not cheap though.

A decent 'budget' option is a MarkBass cmd121p with a good preamp in front when using for DB

An alternative that I haven't tried but suspect may be quite good for 'doubling' is AER Amp One

The current acoustic image combo's have removable heads, which makes them very versatile. I use both an older AI combo and an AI head. The AI combo with single 10 inch woofer is great, but it's not what I would call loud. Good for smaller gigs, but won't keep up with drummers. I prefer the sound of my AI head through PJB cabs for a tighter bottom end. If you're not fussed about the notch and cut filters, I'd lean towards a PJB combo.

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1413243055' post='2576374']
Thanks for the help!
What's the difference btw the acoustic image coda s4 and ten2? Worth the price difference?
[/quote]
The Ten 2 has two 10" speakers whereas the Coda has a 5" speaker and a downfiring 10" speaker - so its really about volume and 'carry' of the sound. The Ten 2 is appreciablty louder and as zero9 says the smaller combo struggles against a drummer

• 2 weeks later...