Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird from Thomann

kodiakblair

I used to be jealous that in the US they had Rondo Music who would sell all sorts of interesting basses for reasonable money. While not every instrument they come up with is a winner, Thomann seem to be rapidly filling that role over here in Europe. I am still hoping that they'll release a Harley Benton Chapman Stick copy or a 9 string bass.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1413106767' post='2574892'] Ask them AT You never know they might not have even thought about them. No harm in asking. Go on you know you want to :D [/quote]

I have! :) They said about the 9 string bass that this was a possibility but that nothing was decided yet.

BTW: Is this the electro-acoustic bass that you mentioned? http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_clb_10sce_ns.htm

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1413127587' post='2575114']
I do wonder how it's possible to make a guitar like that and sell it for £120 without some exploitation happening somewhere.
[/quote]

This was my first thought too, although that's not to say that that more expensive items don't benefit from the same exploitation, but with increased profits.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1413134005' post='2575178']
On the German Music Forum, they claim that while wages are effectively the going rate for the area where their factory is, they do inspect the factory and check that the workers have good conditions.
[/quote]
Did they mention the timber source? Mahogany and rosewood for £120. No illegal logging going on is there?

I don't know. My Harley Benton has some Mahogany, but there is no rosewood and the rest of the bass is mainly easily available woods. ash, maple, sycamore. It is said that Mahogany on cheap Asian made instruments is often 'Philippine Mahogany' (Luan) which isn't Mahogany at all, though it looks like it.

Some Harley Benton basses were made with FSC certified wood. I was hoping that there would be such a label on my bass, but there wasn't.

I did a quick google to see if there was any discussion that I could find about the legality of wood used in Harley Benton instruments, but couldn't find any. As we've seen with a certain well known brand, even buying expensive instruments doesn't guarantee that the wood source is kosher.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Another thing we have to consider is there's no middle man here.

Thomann ship direct from the factory and the business model is for decent instruments at cheap prices. Higher volumes of sales at a lower profit margin also mean
less capital tied up in stock.

As far as the woods used, rosewood is grown in Asia and mahogany was transplanted to India in the late 90s are the CITES act. Most mahogany these days comes from India,Indonesia
and Bangladesh, all from farmed estates same goes for the rosewood.All easier sourced than bringing from South America and cheaper too,with no lawsuits against like Gibson had for
illegally importing mahogany from Brazil.

Nowaday America imports it's mahogany from Peru and estimates are 80% is illegally harvested.Something to think about I imagine when buying American made these days.
Where do they source their timber ? no-one ever asks.

So labour costs are cheaper,materials are cheaper,no middle man to pay ( Fender dealership conditions are quite harsh) and most importantly no brand name. Brand names probably
add 15 - 20% to the cost.

When I bought my 1st Harley Benton the same question ran through my mind " How can they do it so cheap " so I had a think and did a bit digging and that's what I came up with.

One really cool thing was a Chinese double bass builder who uses bridge pilings and support beams from buildings 100s of years old and condemned. That's recycling sure beats
kiln or air dried timber.

Damn AT you beat me to it again :)

Edited by kodiakblair

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1413138966' post='2575230']
... One really cool thing was a Chinese double bass builder who uses bridge pilings and support beams from buildings 100s of years old and condemned. That's recycling sure beats
kiln or air dried timber....
[/quote]

That is cool.

As far as the T-bird goes I like the idea - but would prefer a bolt on version (I prefer bolt on everything). Other than the 3 - point bridge and the neck joint - it's pretty awesome.

If it had a two part tailpiece like:

It'd look appropriate, add no significant cost, and suit more people IMO. Of course a bent bit of tin could work....

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1413151860' post='2575383']
Eyeing up the white 5 er for the same price. The Mrs has said yes. I'll get round to buying it when the shock paralysis wears off
[/quote]

Alright so the button is pushed. Without wishing to thread-jack, what should I expect? There's not a lot of info online about that B550 model. Looks ok though :)

You went for it subrob. Good for you.

1st thing to expect is a big double box probably before the week's out.

I gave the sound samples a listen and it sounded fine,crunchy sounds coming from it alright.If you're not happy the 30 day return option is handy.
But let's hope you don't need it and you're laying down heavy licks by the weekend.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.