Why become a member? ×

Best 350-500 Watt Micro Head?

BassManGraham

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413459117' post='2578395']
Indeed, small enough and pokey enough. Goes in my bass gig bag but sure, not 110% ideal long term.
Also works well will NEO cabs IMO....or at least the ones I have.
[/quote]

Yeah it sounds great with my neo cabs too :)

I use a Rebel head 450 which has an excellent DI. I always get compliments from the sound engineers when i DI out with this amp whether i'm in a studio or playing live at a gig. A small amp that does everything and easy to use IMHO.....and being a micro its easy on the old back! ;)

[quote name='petergales' timestamp='1413576152' post='2579861']
I have an Ampeg PF350 and it has great tone. I carry it in a Gator mixer bag and it fits perfectly and you can sling it over your shoulder. I get lots of compliments about its tone and a sound engineer remarked on the quality of the DI at the last gig I did with it.
[/quote]

I can back up these comments for the most part. I think it depends on the type of gig bag if you want to put the PF 350 in the pocket compartment. It will comfortably fit in a decent rucksack with plenty of room for cables & kettle leads.

The D.I. is also very good! It worked great the only time I used it live nearly two years ago at Dry Bar in Manchester, whilst I had great feedback from the engineer when I used it at a recording session for a previous band last year.

In light of recent comments about the reliability of the Ampeg PF heads, I'd only recommend it for home & studio use.

Due to issues with a hip injury I have been looking at lighter gear, even the EBS stuff is a bit heavy now, whilst I can't bring myself to move away from my Ray, a lighter amp is figuring and I have been looking at and trying out the GK MB500 and I was very impressed and likely to pull the trigger very shortly.

Edited by Lynottfan

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1413640572' post='2580436']
I feel very lucky to be one of the people who have never had any reliability issues with the PF500!
[/quote]

Yeah the reliabilty doubts coupled with the fact that they are relatively heavy for a micro are ruling Ampeg PFs out for me.

Although it is probably blasphemy to say it, I have never raved about the legendary Ampeg tone.

[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1413621207' post='2580165']
I use a Rebel head 450 which has an excellent DI. I always get compliments from the sound engineers when i DI out with this amp whether i'm in a studio or playing live at a gig. A small amp that does everything and easy to use IMHO.....and being a micro its easy on the old back! ;)
[/quote]

Yeah I really liked the look of the TC Electronic Rebel heads. I use a little BG250/208 for lessons & practice a great little amp and Tone Print is unbelievable fun and I don't generally do not like putting effects on bass.

Only problem with my BG250/208 is that the DI out hums quite loudly I am awaiting a replacement to see if that is any better!

I heard an RB450 last week when buying a bass from a guy and it sounded good, but maybe a little too compressed and slighty synthetic to my ears?
Maybe it was just not set-up that well, and I probably didn't give enough attention to tweaking the controls to get a tone to my taste?

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1413592358' post='2580062']
I very recently experienced problems with a TC Electronic BG250 DI out. So I am ruling out the TC electronic BG550 (and any amp without groundlift on the DI out)
[/quote]

I've still got a bg250 combo on my maybe list - what was the problem with the DI?

Hi there,

I'm currently using an Ampeg PF500 in my main gig set up and have to say that the sound is superb!! That said I had a genz benz shuttle 3.0 a few years back and it worked in every situation, small gigs to full rig concerts, incredibly tiny, crazy loud if you need the headroom and stupidly light, I'm sorry I ever sold it on

[quote name='John_P' timestamp='1413649863' post='2580582']
I've still got a bg250 combo on my maybe list - what was the problem with the DI?
[/quote]

Hi John,

PROs The BG250/208 is an amazing little combo and the current pricing is ridiculous as it's about the same price as the BG250 Head. You effectively get the 2x8 cab for free! It sounds great linked to a small extension cab I use a Eden EX110 for a superb 250W rig. It is great for small gigs, rehearsals and teaching etc. Tone Print is pure genius.

CONs I am getting a loud mains hum off the DI out when I try linking to a mixing desk or another amp. This problem rules out recording or using through PA at bigger gigs! I have tried it through a Phil Jones powered cab and through a Soundcraft desk in different venues, but the noise persists. The shop I bought if from have tested it out and agreed it's not right so they have ordered me another one which should be here next week. It might just be a dry joint or loose connection on the DI XLR out, which is not a major issue.

HOWEVER All my other amps (Markbass and Genzbenz) all have a ground lift switch on their DI outs which cancels out mains hums. I have a lot of experience of using DI from bass rigs and it just does not make sense to me not to have a ground lift facility. I will let you know if the replacement unit has the same problem. Cheers

[quote name='drewk_ie' timestamp='1413655827' post='2580657']
Hi there,

I'm currently using an Ampeg PF500 in my main gig set up and have to say that the sound is superb!! That said I had a genz benz shuttle 3.0 a few years back and it worked in every situation, small gigs to full rig concerts, incredibly tiny, crazy loud if you need the headroom and stupidly light, I'm sorry I ever sold it on ��
[/quote]

Thanks for the redeeming comments on Ampeg PFs it's help restore my faith in this iconic brand, But I will definitely be keeping my Genz Benz Shuttle & Streamliner!

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1413648613' post='2580556']

Yeah I really liked the look of the TC Electronic Rebel heads. I use a little BG250/208 for lessons & practice a great little amp and Tone Print is unbelievable fun and I don't generally do not like putting effects on bass.

Only problem with my BG250/208 is that the DI out hums quite loudly I am awaiting a replacement to see if that is any better!

I heard an RB450 last week when buying a bass from a guy and it sounded good, but maybe a little too compressed and slighty synthetic to my ears?
Maybe it was just not set-up that well, and I probably didn't give enough attention to tweaking the controls to get a tone to my taste?
[/quote]

If it's just the amp's built in D.I. that you think's the problem with the BG250/208, why don't you just get a D.I. box? That way you'll still have a FOH & Monitor signal if the worst happens with the amp.

As if the RH450 head, I think that'd be an excellent choice! The EQ set up is completely different to the BH250, but you can definitely get a good sound out of them with minimal tweaking.

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1413816679' post='2582246']
If it's just the amp's built in D.I. that you think's the problem with the BG250/208, why don't you just get a D.I. box? That way you'll still have a FOH & Monitor signal if the worst happens with the amp.

As if the RH450 head, I think that'd be an excellent choice! The EQ set up is completely different to the BH250, but you can definitely get a good sound out of them with minimal tweaking.
[/quote]

Yeah very good point I'll have to put a Sansamp or similar into my gigbag (which is good practice as a standby anyway). It's just irritating that a brand new bit of kit seems to have this issue.

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1413648613' post='2580556']

[/quote]
When i first got this amp about 2 years ago i did find the sound heavily compressed and as with all amps it took me a little while to get the hang of the settings. The range of the compession is huge on this thing and you really dont need much. I use very little compression when playing live and i like to increase it a little when in a studio. It does have a very wide range of tones and the beauty of it is once you find a tone to your liking you can store it which is handy. I use the RS210 cab with it however i'm finding i get more from a trace elliot 2x10 cab and i've been using the TE cab quite a lot lately as i much prefer to sound it gives me.The RS210 has a sweet mellow sound but the Trace cab has more attack and thump. When playing larger venues i add a 1x15 Trace Elliot cab to give me the full volume and depth.
If i had to fault the amp i would say that the buttons on it has developed cracks for some reason.This is a common fault on some of them but it doesnt effect the amp or controls in any way but its not what you'd expect from a top of the range amp.
I've had quite a few amps and this has got the best DI by far and its bloody loud when you want it to be! :D

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1413143261' post='2575271']
I am a huge Genz Benz fan and use either a Shuttle 9.2 or 12.2 in my main rig racks. A complete travesty that their "parent" company Fender put the boot in and discontinued production of Genz Benz gear![/quote]

I knew they had discontinued the nx2 cab, but didn't know this - gutted :( Was considering getting a genz benz shuttle 9.0.

I think the TC BH550 is a strong contender, but then TC have been know to tell porky pies about the true output of their amps, so until someone tests one I wouldn't touch one with a 20ft barge pole. GOing off what I hear about it, the orange terror bass is worth considering. There's also a few Markbass heads you could have a look at - like the big bang, the Little Mark III and the LM Tube.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1413886019' post='2583055']

I think the TC BH550 is a strong contender, but then TC have been know to tell porky pies about the true output of their amps, so until someone tests one I wouldn't touch one with a 20ft barge pole.[/quote]

Regardless of T C Electronic's "creative" power ratings-and I really have no idea why they bill them as having a rating that isn't the actual output-I'd certainly recommend you at least trying one. They are STILL loud IMO, but trying one will let your ears decide.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1413886019' post='2583055']
I knew they had discontinued the nx2 cab, but didn't know this - gutted :( Was considering getting a genz benz shuttle 9.0.

I think the TC BH550 is a strong contender, but then TC have been know to tell porky pies about the true output of their amps, so until someone tests one I wouldn't touch one with a 20ft barge pole. GOing off what I hear about it, the orange terror bass is worth considering. There's also a few Markbass heads you could have a look at - like the big bang, the Little Mark III and the LM Tube.
[/quote]

Yeah I was absolutely gutted that Fender dropped Genz Benz production, I discovered Genz Benz almost too late. BassDirect were selling off a lot of Genz Benz stock, so I at least I got a great deal, before they completely disappeared.

Yeah was considering the TC BH550 which has a helluva lot going for it, but I won't be deciding until my BG250 DI out issue is resolved!

I have used Markbass exclusively for the several years, (until I got the Genz Benz), but still love Markbass I've still got a Mini CMD121P with LM head - marvellous little combo. Just fancied trying something different like a little GK or Eden etc!

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1413894858' post='2583211']
Yeah I was absolutely gutted that Fender dropped Genz Benz production, I discovered Genz Benz almost too late. BassDirect were selling off a lot of Genz Benz stock, so I at least I got a great deal, before they completely disappeared.

Yeah was considering the TC BH550 which has a helluva lot going for it, but I won't be deciding until my BG250 DI out issue is resolved!

I have used Markbass exclusively for the several years, (until I got the Genz Benz), but still love Markbass I've still got a Mini CMD121P with LM head - marvellous little combo. Just fancied trying something different like a little GK or Eden etc!
[/quote]

Yeah that's a shame about genz benz :( Even if the bh550 puts out 550 watts, I'm not sure how I'd feel giving my money to a company that gets so 'creative' with their power ratings, it all stinks a bit to me. Even though they make great heads, I decided GK produced too clanky a sound for my liking, taking my bass' sound into consideration. I think the front runners for me are the Ampeg pf800, the Aguilar th500, the Orange terror bass and the little mark tube. Then again, the only reason the LM tube is a contender, is because I thought the addition of the tube would warm the sound up a little, but from the sound of things it doesn't really do that. I mean what does the LM iii sound like?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1413895669' post='2583225']
Yeah that's a shame about genz benz :( Even if the bh550 puts out 550 watts, I'm not sure how I'd feel giving my money to a company that gets so 'creative' with their power ratings, it all stinks a bit to me. Even though they make great heads, I decided GK produced too clanky a sound for my liking, taking my bass' sound into consideration. I think the front runners for me are the Ampeg pf800, the Aguilar th500, the Orange terror bass and the little mark tube. Then again, the only reason the LM tube is a contender, is because I thought the addition of the tube would warm the sound up a little, but from the sound of things it doesn't really do that. I mean what does the LM iii sound like?
[/quote]

I like the sound of the LMIII head which with EQ set flat is transparent so you hear your bass without colouration. The EQ controls are straightforward and easy to dial a good range of tones. The VLE (vintage loud speaker emulator) control is great for dialling in vintage Motown type bass sounds. I like the warmth of tube and hybrid amps heard in isolation, but tend to find that in practice those vintage type tones do not cut through the mix in a live band situation, so I have always erred towards cleaner clanky type tones hence my interest in the GK MB500.

A few years ago I tried the Markbass LM tube head to head with a Markbass SA450 in GAK which both sounded better than Ampeg heads to me. I chose the SA450 analogue solid state head.
I also had a Markbass Blackline 250 which was really great value and sounded just like the LMIII (though with obviously less headroom), but a 500W amp theorectically only sounds about 10% louder to the human ear than a 250W amp.

But your own ears will be your best guide.

Thanks BassManGraham, all of this is really helpful :D That's very interesting about the hybrid amps - I play a stingray, so unsurprisingly there's a lot of top end sparkle and a bit of clank. Briefly looked at the gk mb fusion, but even with the tube there was a brightness baked into the tone. I guess I thought, in principle at least, the warmth from a hybrid amp with my bright stingray would equal a great, balanced sound. Do you think that would be the case? Atm I cut through plenty.

I'd forgotten about the vle and vpf features of Markbass heads - that kind of makes the warmth from a tube redundant. Maybe I'd be better off looking at a regular Little Mark III.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1413908048' post='2583465']
Thanks BassManGraham, all of this is really helpful :D That's very interesting about the hybrid amps - I play a stingray, so unsurprisingly there's a lot of top end sparkle and a bit of clank. Briefly looked at the gk mb fusion, but even with the tube there was a brightness baked into the tone. I guess I thought, in principle at least, the warmth from a hybrid amp with my bright stingray would equal a great, balanced sound. Do you think that would be the case? Atm I cut through plenty.

I'd forgotten about the vle and vpf features of Markbass heads - that kind of makes the warmth from a tube redundant. Maybe I'd be better off looking at a regular Little Mark III.
[/quote]

No doubt that a Sterling would sound great through a hybrid amp, but the LMIII is definitely worth a serious listen too. I have found Markbass gear to be very reliable. I have always a bit wary about the relative fragility of valve amps. I like hybrid amps and modern cool running preamp tubes are probably less fragile than hot running power amp tubes, but I would struggle to transport an all tube head these days.

Yeah the VLE & VPF are great features for vinatge tones, but I wouldn't say they completely replace that classic valve amp warmth. Music Man basses Stingrays & Sterlings tend to be quite punchy and to my ears have more mids than Jazzes and Precisions. My MM Sterling sounded great through my various Markbass rigs & combos and the mids definitely helped it cut thru the mix very nicely.

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1413920929' post='2583708']
No doubt that a Sterling would sound great through a hybrid amp, but the LMIII is definitely worth a serious listen too. I have found Markbass gear to be very reliable. I have always a bit wary about the relative fragility of valve amps. I like hybrid amps and modern cool running preamp tubes are probably less fragile than hot running power amp tubes, but I would struggle to transport an all tube head these days.

Yeah the VLE & VPF are great features for vinatge tones, but I wouldn't say they completely replace that classic valve amp warmth. Music Man basses Stingrays & Sterlings tend to be quite punchy and to my ears have more mids than Jazzes and Precisions. My MM Sterling sounded great through my various Markbass rigs & combos and the mids definitely helped it cut thru the mix very nicely.
[/quote]

Good to know (that you have a similar bass to mine and it sounds good with a markbass amp). Well if I went for an LM III, I think I'd end up slightly rolling of the treble and boosting the bass.

• 1 month later...

After much prevarication and diliberation in my search for a really small lightweight head, watching numerous Youtube review clips to arrive at a short list and finally a couple of showroom comparisons I bought a GK MB500 from GAK in Brighton. (the Eden WTX500 was a close runner up)

First gig last night. Very impressed with the great clean and punchy GK sound and plenty of headroom. Used through a tiny pair of 300W Eden 110s. The footswitch (included) is a very handy feature for switching channels.

A quality DI out was a key priority in my search and this has a really nice clean DI out (with ground lift switched in).

The MB500 is a really great value amp for under £400 designed and assembled in USA too, which is rare these days! Build quality is excellent, I suspect some components may be far eastern but most stuff is these days. So no issues there whatsoever.

I love the sleek design. Only one very minor niggle is the limiter switch on top of amp (as front panel space is at a premium), but this would only an be issue if mounted in a rack unit. I leave the limiter on to protect speakers so it's not an issue for me. Also to put an amp this small in a rack seems pointless as it outweighs the size and weight advantages, particularly as it fits in a standard laptop wallet or even a larger pocket of a decent bass gigbag.

This will be my first choice amp for rehearsal and all gigs with awkward load-ins and/or staircases to negotiate. Also an excellent back-up for bigger theatre and/or festival venues where my Genz Benz Shuttle Max and Vanderkley rig remains favourite.

If you looking for a compact light punchy 500W bass head look no further!