Why become a member? ×

One Piece Maple Neck - But No Skunk Stripe!

discreet

[b]One Piece Maple Neck - But No Skunk Stripe![/b]

I've just acquired a bass that apparently has a one-piece maple neck, so you'd imagine the truss rod would be fitted into the back of the neck and a skunk stripe glued in after...

But - this neck has no skunk stripe and as far as I can see, no separate fingerboard or fretboard... it's a one-piece.

The truss rod adjuster is a bullet-type at the headstock.

So my question is this... HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET THE TRUSS ROD IN THERE??

I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

Well here's a thing... it looks like there's a seam down the middle of the back of the neck! So that must mean they took two blocks of wood, cut a channel in one (or both) for the truss rod, then sandwiched them together... but they would have had to do this BEFORE shaping the neck and the headstock! If not this, then the only other thing I can think of is that they must have drilled a VERY long hole all the way down the neck from the headstock end!

I must admit to being a little bit baffled by this.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1413153369' post='2575398']
'Twas done with witchcraft dear boy.
[/quote]

Well that's another possible solution, obviously.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1413153746' post='2575403']
Any chance it's one piece of wood cut down the middle, channel routed, truss rod installed and then glued back together?
[/quote]

Ha! This is what I surmised, but obviously I type slower than you... :)

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1413154248' post='2575410']
...it seems that it's a G&L patent called the "bi-cut neck". [url="http://www.glguitars.com/features/neck.asp"]http://www.glguitars...atures/neck.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Holy crap, you're right! Well, there it is. You learn something new every day. I thank you! :)

Aye, it's interesting all right. I can't imagine it's something any small luthier is going to try. Once you've routed it, set the truss rod in and glued the blank back together, every cut from then on needs to be in perfect longitudinal alignment with a channel that is now invisible.

Edited by alittlebitrobot