Why become a member? ×

Does body wood make a difference to the sound of a bass guitar?

Annoying Twit

Even if wood can be shown to have a perceptible effect on the sound of a bass guitar, what would anyone do with that knowledge? Indeed, what [u]could[/u] they do with it, given that wood is an organic material and that every single piece will have have some unique characteristics, even pieces from the same species and quite probably even pieces from the same tree!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413759646' post='2581678']
Even if wood can be shown to have a perceptible effect on the sound of a bass guitar, what would anyone do with that knowledge? Indeed, what [u]could[/u] they do with it, given that wood is an organic material and that every single piece will have have some unique characteristics, even pieces from the same species and quite probably even pieces from the same tree!
[/quote]
They would market materials for different types of music. Just like today, but with science on their side so you don't need to use your own ears or judgement anymore. You'd be a fool to disagree with SCIENCE! Science..ience..ence..

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413759646' post='2581678']
[/quote]

It would depend on how much variation there is in the one within species compared to between different species. If the intra-species tone variation was small, and the inter-species tone variation was large, then it would be sensible for instrument designers to choose the body wood species that has the desired tone.

However, since the best information we have to date is that wood species doesn't make a significant difference, they shouldn't.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1413782507' post='2581709']
They would market materials for different types of music. Just like today, but with science on their side so you don't need to use your own ears or judgement anymore. You'd be a fool to disagree with SCIENCE! Science..ience..ence..
[/quote]

The huge amount of audio woo out there (e.g. 'audiophile USB cables') shows that leaving things up to people's own ears and judgement is a recipe for widespread superstition and myth. I prefer facts. The AudioAsylum forum has banned discussion of double blind / ABX trials in some of their forums. http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/d.mpl?audio/faq.html I bet they are very happy in their foolery.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1413782507' post='2581709']

[/quote]

True. Just like they market signature basses so that we can all sound like our heroes as well as fancy cables and a million effect pedals, not to mention celebrity endorsements. Perhaps most musicians are not confident enough to want their own sound, or even know what they want it to be, and therefore strive to sound like someone else?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413801888' post='2581967']
True. Just like they market signature basses so that we can all sound like our heroes as well as fancy cables and a million effect pedals, not to mention celebrity endorsements. Perhaps most musicians are not confident enough to want their own sound, or even know what they want it to be, and therefore strive to sound like someone else?
[/quote]

It's a massive GAS-based delusion, though. Even if you had a 100% identical set-up to (insert name of hero), there is no way you are going to sound like him (or her) due to a hundred different parameters such as upbringing, education, musical background and influences, physical attributes, style, X-Factor, and so on and so forth. The whole deal about 'well, (hero) has got one of these so now I can play like them,' is spurious at best. But you knew that already. :)

Having said that, I only bought a Hayman so I could sound like, er... ah... um.
And obviously I bought a G&L SB-2 so that everyone would think I'm as good as... ah... thingy. You know.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1413809823' post='2582125']
I've had a number of people say I must be a good player because I own basses with more than four strings. Never quite worked that one out.
[/quote]

Using that logic, Anthony Jackson must be a genius! Oh, wait... :D

Just been catching up on this thread... And was intrigued about the age of wood being a factor. Whilst I am still convinced that body wood age doesn't make a significant difference to electrics, I got out my Taylor acoustic 412ce that I bought 10 years ago. When I bought it, it sounded great plugged in but pretty naff acoustically. Real thin and toppy. The wood is really pale and anaemic looking. Funnily enough I got it out the other day and in the 7 or 8 years since I've played it, it has changed colour significantly and is a more honey coloured shade now. I even got old photos out to make sure I wasn't going mad. Playing it acoustically, it seems a lot more mellow than it was. It still has a very bright sound but there's significant more mids and lows than I remember. Would I say it's now a killer sounding acoustic? Probably not... But I wish I could reliably compare the now and then sounds.

As for old fender basses sounding better than new... I still say that's down to the pickups. I would like to be able to reliably compare brand new pickups and how they sound to how they sound after sitting in a bass for fifty years. I reckon the breakdown of the magnet is a key component here.

Indeed, magnets age. They get weaker over time, abd this must affect the output. For a start, it must decrease a bit. If you then adjust the pickup closer to get more output, it will likely change the tone.
Or if you were able to compare the sound, unadjusted and years apart, the magnets would account for most if not all of the change. Movement and drying of wood, particularly if the finish is largely gone a la Rory Gallagher, might also change things a little. But I can't imagine it having a great effect.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1414288005' post='2587953']
Precisely. Even the nagnets aging takes decades. You'd need a time machine to chevk on the sound difference, and then it wouldn't be great.
[/quote]
...and during that time, your hearing shifts anyway. Mmmm...a tricky conundrum this one...

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1414288005' post='2587953']
Precisely. Even the nagnets aging takes decades. You'd need a time machine to chevk on the sound difference, and then it wouldn't be great.
[/quote]

It's not hard to degauss alnico magnets through other means than waiting a few decades though, so the difference is actually well understood and easily recreated. There are quite a few pickup makers out there who have measured the strength of the magnets from vintage pickups and charged the magnets in their new pickups to the same level.
Personally I think that ageing is a bit of a red herring when it comes to electric guitars and basses. So many of our benchmark recordings of what are now considered vintage instruments were made when the instruments were no more than 10 or 15 years old.

Edited by Beer of the Bass