Why become a member? ×

80s Yamahas

steviedee

Hi everyone just picked up an 80s BB5000 and am very impressed. Although I don't need any more basses I'm thinking about a similar vintage 4 string. The BB3000 looks like the best option but any info on other models, as they all look quite similar would be appreciated.

Also depending on cost I might look at a fretted and a fretless. Any advice on these would be gratefully recieved.

I have two MIJ's. A BB3000 and a BB1000s, fitted with Badass II's and DR Lo-Riders. Both are versatile basses. The 3000 has some serious 'thump'. The 1000s (reverse-P) still packs a punch, but I find it better for that 'older' sound.

Edited by Turk

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1413308916' post='2577019']
I recently got a BB1100s and I think it a cracking bass. Active/passive, P and J set up.
[/quote]
+1
Ive had my bb1100s for over 20 years and its the bass I always come back to. Played alongside gibsons, fenders, stingrays tobias and others 3 or 4 times the value and it holds its own or beats the pants off them for a fraction of the cost. Best value basses out there!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1413308916' post='2577019']
I recently got a BB1100s and I think it a cracking bass. Active/passive, P and J set up.
[/quote]

One of these was my first "proper" bass. Must gave done 500 gigs or so with it in the late 80s/early 90s, no backup, never let me down. Great basses, really good quality. Keep thinking of getting one for nostalgia.

Yeah Lozz, great basses. I have owned most things - Stingrays, Status, P basses....and I really prefer this. Not too heavy, good range of sounds in active or passive, and the neck is perfect for me. All I have done is stick on a set of Chrome flats, Schaller strap locks and have gigged nothing else since.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1413796916' post='2581871']
OK so it's not [i]actually[/i] 80s, but it looks like it... found one of these on A Popular Internet Auction Site and ohmygod pleeease somebody give me a good reason not to pull the trigger *drool*

[/quote]

There is no good reason not to pull the trigger, just buy the damn thing already ;-p