Why become a member? ×

NBD - USA G&L SB-2 (1983) *Audio Clip*

discreet

[b]NBD - USA G&L SB-2 (1983)[/b]

[b]*[url="https://soundcloud.com/arkaymith/sb-2-groove"]Audio Clip[/url]*[/b]

Many thanks to [i]richardd[/i] (Rich) of this parish, from whom I bought this bass - he is an all-round good bloke and an excellent Basschatter. :) What we have here is a vintage G&L SB-2 built in Fullerton California USA in 1983, and very nice it is too. It is in excellent original condition and has not been messed with ...too much. ;) These are quite rare instruments, as firstly they were never produced in huge numbers, and secondly they were only produced for a short time between the end of 1982 until 1984.

They were marketed as part of G&L's 'budget' line at the time, though the quality of the build and the hardware was no different to the more up-market models. Corners were cut (or not!) by using a very simple design and a slab body; there is a basic radius rout around the periphery of the body, but no contours. They have since gained quite a reputation as players' basses and are quite sought-after.

1983 was during 'the George and Leo time' at G&L, so arguably this G&L is more 'Fender' than the CBS basses from that time. It has been well-used; there are typical checking patterns in the paint, thumb-wear where you'd expect to see it and flaws in the finish that are consistent with a thirty-year-old instrument. Very nice fit in the pocket, and the maple neck has gone a very nice honey colour, too. Those who know me will be surprised to see a black bass; I tend to favour white basses and indeed a white version was available - they turned creamy over time.

I intended to refinish this one in vintage white, but I really don't want to destroy the thirty-years' worth of mojo this bass has acquired! [i]Rumple[/i] (Dave) suggested that I get a replica white body made and keep the black one for when I move it on, and I'm thinking about that. Or I may just go against years of preference and keep it black! :)

Another unusual feature is the G&L patented 'Bi-Cut' truss-rod insertion method - as BCer [i]alittlebitrobot[/i] discovered, the neck blank is split longitudinally, channeled and truss rod inserted. Then the two halves are glued and pressed together and the blank is shaped. The advantage to this is less warping and twisting of the neck. Here's the gen from G&L (paragraph 5):

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/features/neck.asp"]http://www.glguitars...atures/neck.asp[/url]

So what's it like? Well... first impression is that it's light (8.7lbs) and powerful. I generally like to have both pickups on the go and with both selected this bass really chucks it out. It's a tone monster, too. More so than my Hayman, which is saying a great deal. Not as wide at the nut (I'd say 41.3mm), but definitely not Jazz-thin. Not as chunky either, but then not many necks are. I'd say it was very similar to a P neck. It's one of the most powerful passive basses I've played.

I've strung it with Status Hot Wire Half-Wounds, and it's immense through my Streamliner/Schroeder rig. I'll post more about how it sounds after Wednesday's rehearsal, and in the meantime I'll record an audio file. :) OK, enough!! Pics:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1413200711' post='2575704']
Lovely that is, proper lush & overflowing with mojo, good score Mark B) I'd be tempted to take it to a 'gypsy rose' & see if she could read those lines on the back :D :ph34r:
[/quote]

Thanks, John... it's definitely got a 'spiritual' vibe - it smells of Patchouli..! :D

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1413199849' post='2575695']
...Keep her as she is - Jet black :) .
[/quote]
[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1413202365' post='2575739']
...Would be a shame to mess with it at all.
[/quote]
[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1413205769' post='2575785']
...definitely agree with everybody above by thinking you should leave it black!
[/quote]

Could be wrong, but I think I'm starting to see a pattern emerging here... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1413202181' post='2575737']
My 80's G&L has been my regular gigging bass for the last four years. Love it. Yet to find a more powerful passive instrument.
Hope you enjoy your one as much mate.
[/quote]

Thanks Gary, I'm sure I will. :) Glad you agree about the POWER!!

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1413207289' post='2575801']
I think I might have to have a go on that at some point Mark - pretty please :)
[/quote]

No problem, Dave. Don't want to give you GAS unduly, though... ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1413227322' post='2576143']
You could always get one of those smooth-on vinyl things that the classic car guys use, cut to shape. Cake, had and eaten :)
[/quote]

That is a possibility. I could have a vintage white bass without damaging the mojo beneath!!
[url="http://axewrap.com/"]http://axewrap.com/[/url]

I'm not quite sure if that would result in excrement through my letterbox, though. :)

Edited by discreet