Why become a member? ×

NBD - USA G&L SB-2 (1983) *Audio Clip*

discreet

Well Mark, out of all your purchases this is my least favorite. Looks home made to me! Get rid of the black house paint effect and put some vintage white on.

Keep the bridge.. burn the rest.

Bi indeed! A spell in the Army would sort all that

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1413208844' post='2575822']
If you paint that white, I'm going to sh*t in an envelope and post it to you.
[/quote]

Paint it white, or I'll sh*t in an envelope and post it to you. Plus I wont put a stamp on, so you'll have to pay for it.

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1413208844' post='2575822']
If you paint that white, I'm going to sh*t in an envelope and post it to you.
[/quote]
[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413240059' post='2576337
'2576337]
Paint it white, or I'll sh*t in an envelope and post it to you.
[/quote]

So whatever happens I can look forward to a poo parcel in due course. :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413274397' post='2576478']
I'm sure she's a great sounding player, but I'm finding the styling a little meh. If the body is original, then I'd leave it be.
[/quote]

D'oh! I was relying on your one dissenting voice as an excuse for a refinish!!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413274397' post='2576478']
I know you have your little peccadilloes.
[/quote]

Well I do of course, but excrement isn't one of them... not human excrement, anyway. :mellow:

Nice score Mark, she's a beaut! :gas:

Whatever you do, [i]DON'T[/i] refinish the body. You'll regret it and by the sound of things, receive something rather pungent in the post. Black is the new white, just keep repeating the mantra and you'll be fine.

Oh and sound clips, now, please.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1413275649' post='2576500']
Whatever you do, [i]DON'T[/i] refinish the body.
[/quote]

I may have to go against all advice and refinish in vintage white!! Played the bass most of the day yesterday and I just don't like black basses! Besides, I don't think the finish is entirely original having looked closely at it, so... I'll just have to risk getting a package of poo through my letterbox...

Edited by discreet

My address for sending excrement through the post is:

I'm Annoyed About Discreet's G&L Refinish
48 Deptford High Street
London
SE8 3NT

If you would like to streamline the process, you can order and send your poo online, here:

[url="http://www.poopsenders.com/"]http://www.poopsenders.com/[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413364153' post='2577437']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I lost all my mp3 shiz when my PC went tits-up recently - anyone know how to quickly get an mp3 player embedded in a forum post?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I don't want to use SoundCloud as they don't like it when you upload copyright material for some reason... [/font][/color] :rolleyes:

I may have to go against all advice and refinish in vintage white!! Played the bass most of the day yesterday and I just don't like black basses!
[/quote]

Good man! Vintage white it is

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413364153' post='2577437']
I may have to go against all advice and refinish in vintage white!! Played the bass most of the day yesterday and I just don't like black basses! Besides, I don't think the finish is entirely original having looked closely at it, so... I'll just have to risk getting a package of poo through my letterbox...
[/quote]

Is there anyway you could refinish it but like keeping the older look? I don't know if it's possible to paint it and then add that checking in or anything? Can't kill the mojo!

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1413376946' post='2577659']
Is there anyway you could refinish it but like keeping the older look? I don't know if it's possible to paint it and then add that checking in or anything? Can't kill the mojo!
[/quote]

That's very possible. A light relic might work convincingly, as no-one makes relic G&L basses, do they? And if you look at the pictures I think it's pretty obvious that not all the finish is 100% original anyway, so to hell with it. I really like the bass otherwise, and it seems crazy to move it on just because I don't like the colour! :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413380540' post='2577710']
Do you think this was originally black? Where it's been dinged I'm thinking Butterscotch?
[/quote]

I think that's just bare wood underneath.
I know they were originally available in black, white, red and possibly blue, but I'm not sure about other colours.

Still, no doubt I'll find out WHEN I REMOVE THE ORIGINAL PAINT PRIOR TO REFINISHING!!
BWA-HAHAHA HA-HA-HAAAAHHH!! *Cough, cough*

Edited by discreet

Used the bass at rehearsal last night and it's a cracker. Very nice player, too and well-balanced. Power! So much so you can play it with the volume backed off and use it as a tone control to a degree, and add extra grit right from the bass.

I was [i]almost [/i]hoping it would be a bit 'meh' in a band situation so I could just move it on - but it's great. Which means that if it's a keeper, it'll need to be wearing regulation discreet vintage white livery... stand by for the SB-2 refinish thread, I suppose... :blink:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1413485251' post='2578836']
Also another feature of these basses are that they are passive
[/quote]

Yes, I mentioned that in the OP.
I was first turned onto these early 80s SB-2s after seeing those pics of the white one you had up for sale...
Did you sell it in the end..?

Edited by discreet