Why become a member? ×

Looking for a darker arco sound

alexpea

Hi there :)

I'm not happy with the arco sound on my 18th C german flatback at the moment, I find the arco sound is very bright.

The bass has currently got Helicore Orchestral strings on it but I'm thinking of trying some different strings in the hope of darkening the sound.

I play in an Orchestra as well as playing Klezmer, Americana and a bit of Jazz so I need strings that are quite flexible.

At the moment I'm considering trying some Eva Pirazzi's possibly the Weichs. I appreciate that each bass is different but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

[quote name='Lazybirdpete' timestamp='1413222635' post='2576043']
I'm playing the EP Weichs as is a much more experienced double bass playing friend of mine. We both play orchestral music and he is also very active playing jazz. The Weichs are easy on the hands and produce a good sound arco and pizz so I would give them a try.

Pete
[/quote]

+1 I think they are a great hybrid string. The regulars are darker with a thicker tone, but I find the heavier gauge harder work. Weichs seem to be a better fit for me and also seem to amplify better as they are a touch brighter than the regulars.

You've already got pretty dark arco strings, my advice is get your bass to a good luthier for a soundpost adjustment & work on your technique to get a darker sound. Evahs are good strings though, my preference is for the mediums, the weichs are too soft & spongey with the bow for me.

I used to swear by my Obligato's up until a couple of years ago when I thought I would give EP Weichs a go - Wow! Absolutely love them, and I certainly don't have any urge to move away from them or try anything else in the near future. Love the feel under the left hand, and they compliment my bass brilliantly. Another high recommendation!

Edited by henrywillard