Why become a member? ×

Percussive Synth Sound

Roland Rock

Octave (or something that will convert your note to a triangle wave) & a low pass filter that can close with the note envelope along with a percussive pick technique should get you close.
The Moog LPF can take a patch from the Env out & back into the Cut Off to do that effect.

Hmm.

This sort of sound is more difficult than you might think. The amplitude envelope is the difficult bit if you're using an analogue octaver like the OC-2, because as your note decays the octaver will start to think other harmonics are the dominant note and you'll get that glitchy sound you get when you ask it to track a note that's too low, or you'll get it gating too early or too sharply.

Honestly this whole ADSR envelope thing when trying to reproduce synths sounds on bass guitar is a big problem. Of the pedals that attempt it, the best at re-triggering reliably is the EHX Bass Micro Synth but you'll still struggle to get it to trip each time on notes that are close together.

It's probably why this guy built [url="http://www.mwfx.co.uk/product/retreat"]this pedal[/url], which I think is a genius idea but it does stretch the practicalities a bit. And for the record this whole ADSR problem is the reason why, after years of using a bass guitar and pedals, I bought a mono synth. I still use pedals for loads of stuff but this particular problem cannot be surmounted IME.