Why become a member? ×

How does a rev solo or bass max compare with a realist

spencer.b

Hiya
I'm thinking of getting a different pick up , I use a mic most of the time but I sometimes need a pick up for louder stages, I use a realist but I don't like having it under the bridge foot, has any one used a rev solo or bass max ( do they have that nasal underwood thing?)
ta
spencer

I've used both a Bass Max and Rev Solo - the Rev Solo sounds a lot better to my ears, a lot more natural. In both cases they sounded better going straight into the amp (GK MB150) rather than through the pre amp. The only thing about the Rev Solo is that the sound is extremely sensitive to the pickup's position in the slot. It seems like a millimetre difference make the sound go from nice-and-woody to horrible-nasal-stuck-in-box so a bit of experimentation is required as well as pencil to mark out the sweet spot once you find it.

Hope this helps

+1 on the Rev. It was the best sounding pickup on my bass but was very sensitive to being knocked, temperature etc...

If you have adjuster wheels, maybe give the Gage Lifeline a try. The Fullcircle as a great all rounder too.

EDIT: The Lifeline is a Gage product, not Fishman. Sorry.

Edited by TPJ

Rev solo has been my chosen pick up for years on one of my basses. To me it has been better than all the others I tried (Fishman, Shadow, Underwood, Bassmax, Ehrlund, DPA microphone and probably a ton more). I can get an approximation of my bass sound whist maintaining an easy plug-in-and-go and hardly any feedback issue. In saying that, it is a piezo, a compromise and not exactly a perfect option. I am always on the lookout for something that would be as easy to deal with yet sound better, but so far no joy for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the Realist as to my ears, it has the least nasal quality to it and contains a lot of defined low end. It can be a bit wooly sounding though, and they seem to be hit and miss. I bought a new one from Mo Clifton about 12 years ago, after hearing one being used. The new one wasn't a patch, so it went back and I ended up with a secondhand, older version that was ten times better. Hopefull by now, he's sorted out the inconsistency.....

You need to get one of each and find out which works best for you (like many of us here have)

For starters the Bassmax is the most tolerant fit of the wing slot types, doesn't need a pre amp, and in my experience has the most feedback resistance.

And it doesn't cost the earth so I'd recommend that you try one before spending a fortune on others.

I'm using a Bassmax on 2 of my uprights whilst at least a nearly new Realist, 2 x Full Circle, Upton Rev solo11, Underwood and Shadow are all in the spares box.

The Bassmax doesn't suit EUB's with solid bodies unless you fit one either side of the bridge. That's where Underwood & Shadow SH950 come in useful.

Have fun

Edited by Mr Bassman

I have a Bassmax and a Realist

The Realist sounds the most natural & transparent, but I can't use it at high volumes. It's great in a little trio type set up though, where you're just using a little bit of monitoring and a small PA

The Bassmax is very reliable, quite bass heavy (which I like) and very feedback resistant. I went through a bunch of pickups before I tried the Bassmax - it was the only one that really worked for me on bigger stages - everything else seems to either squeal uncontrollably or lacked enough bottom end to carry across the stage.

I use a Bassmax on my rockabilly/bluegrass working bass and a Realist on my jazz/folk acoustic sessions bass (and also for recording).

I use a bass Max and have played on some pretty loud stages with it on a carved bass and have had very little feedback problems. I briefly owned a Realist and found I couldn't get anywhere near as much volume out of it before the dreaded feedback crept in. The sound was also a lot less punchy and defined which didn't suit the kind of music I play. I found the realist really dampened the acoustic volume of my bass too which wasn't great as I use the same bass for orchestra too