Why become a member? ×

don't worry, all sorted!

SmallDawg

They are passive. You have what you have. There is no "boost" as with an active circuit. Now, that said: 1) adjust the pickups as close to the strings as recommended so you get the most signal out of the strings. Output varies as the [i]square[/i] of the distance from the pickup. So if the pickups are 4 mm away from the strings, you will only get 1/4 the output than if they are 2 mm away from the strings. 2) Consider 500 kohm pots to get a higher resonant peak and "presence." It won't be louder, but with more definition, it may slot the mix better. 3) Stainless steel strings and "Alloy 52" strings, like GHS Progressives have more magnetic interaction with the pickups, so they produce a very slightly higher signal. 4) Raise the gain on your amp. You may still have it switched to the "active" mode instead of the "passive" mode. I like to balance the pre and post levels, but raising the preamp setting and adding some compression can help with the perceived overall volume. That's what George Martin and Sir Macca did on "Paperback Writer," and the rest is history.

Edited by iiipopes