Why become a member? ×

effect volume

worship_mud

hi there,

when i use my envelope filter in conjuction w/ my fuzz, the volume jumps up rather significantly.
i use a MXR M82 envelope and a 3leaf audio you're doom fuzz. the envelope has pot for "dry" and "fx", the fuzz has a "mix" and a "volume" pot. tweaking all four of these pots changes the sound, but actually not the volume. i like my effects to be at unity or, if i have to turn the volume up, to do so in a controlled way, but i can't seem to get that done with the combination of the aforementioned effects.

both effects sound OK volume-wise when used on their own, only the combination spikes in volume. due to this i can't even figure out, which effect is responsible for the rise of volume....

what to do?

It's likely to be the fuzz's high harmonics making the resonant peaks of the envelope jump out. It's fairly common for a high gain pedal to 'drive' later effects in the chain. I would suggest dropping the volume of the fuzz (I assume you have this before the envelope). This may however change the tone slightly of the pair run together as you will not be driving the envelope as hard.

Thats hard to say. Gain knob or not, it's a different filter with a different sound, which you also may not like.

You could put both pedals in a loop using something like a Boss LS-2 and you can then lower the loop volume for when they are used together to match unity. I would alway advocate finding a way to use the pedals you have (you can try lowering the resonance on the filter as well) before adding addition pedals to the chain, but this could provide you with a decent solution.

I have this issue when I run my Grand Tarkin into my MXR filter. I set up a graphic eq patch on my Zoom B3, and lowered the output level so it's now all nicely balanced. That meant I could also fine tune the eq which was a bonus.

Edited by ratman

or i could just put the envelope itself behind the LS2, and still have both, the fuzz and the filter, to use seperatly or in conjunction with other filters... but that would probably also reduce the volume of the filter when used without the fuzz or alone .... what about a volume pedal at the end of the chain???

dammit, just started with effects and i'm in constant problemsolving mode... :D :D :D