Why become a member? ×

sold Tobias Classic 6 #462 one-off - Pre-Gibson! Now some photos too.
£2300

nobodysprefect

Edit: For trades, I'm open to discussing anything, really. But I'd like to get some cash out of the trade.

Edited on Jan 27th: aight, wanna move this. 1950 pounds shipped to European locations. Will take more photos for serious buyers.

Well, this is a great bass, but I NEED that MTD bite! Some call them cold and sterile and I say I like'em that way. This Tobias isn't a good stand-in for Modulus, Zon or Status with their relatively cold tones, but if you're looking for a bass that's REALLY high end yet has a rounder, FATTER, sound, this is [b]it[/b]. Kinda like a Smith, Roscoe or a Fender when it comes to sitting in the mix but larger bottom end. Doesn't suffer from that big small tone that's all too common in high end basses.

edit: I've dinked around, and I'll say this: if this had the same scale length and string spacing as my MTDs have, this would be saying. This is 34"/17ish, while my MTD 635s are 35" 19mm. My custom built "60s JB meets A. Jackson" is 36"/20mm!!! as that's my preference these days.

Even as it is, the superb tone for groove stuff almost makes this a keeper, but I just play too many bum notes on this bass and don't wanna give up playing my custom built one.

Quoting from Brams's thread, since he described the bass better than I could.

[quote name='Brams77']
[size=2]This is the best bass by Michael I ever played, held, heard or owned, and I played quite a few also the current US MTD line Michael Tobias produces.
Anything works, goes and sounds right no matter how you set the controls and that is someting you rarely encounter, that is what a true gem is I guess... [/size]
[size=2]This one has the sought after older type TCT with an original and very rare passive tone control usable in both active and passive mode like e.g. A Fodera. It's a really flexable preamp very natural and organic somehow, don't know why they make them like that anymore... [/size]
[size=2]It has some light wear it has been played and some hairline cracks in the clear coat but nothing that influences playing, frets have [/size][size=2]great life action is set really low...[/size]

[size=2]Bass has been fully cleaned up when I got it and is setup proffessionally. [/size]
[size=2]The bass will be features in a bass beautique book, that I believe will be published this year or early next year.. I can give you details on that if anyone interested to know.. The book is published by the former owner of Bunny Bass in NY some years back. [/size]
[size=2]Additional news:
I had contact with Michael Tobias about this bass, as I got an email that made me very curious on the original owner of this bass... Turns out this bass was made for producer and bassist extraordinair (mostly upright) Tim Emmons, you can google him he's done some really impressive works in his career.
This particular bass has a thicker neck mimicking an upright feel Michael told me, I don't get that really co's the neck is asymetrical but the neck has more meat to it then others have also the body is thicker, prolly the reason why the bass has this bigger fatter tone. Anyway I thought it was fun to share that so it has one of a kind custom specs in that respect, very cool and very cool it was ordered by Tim back in the day! [/size]

[size=2]Specs
Alder body wings
Flame maple neck with purpleheart stringers
Pau ferro board
Dual truss rod
The neck has the asymetrical neckshape really comfortable even for a sixer
34" scale
16,5 to 17mm spacing the bridge was hand carved and the space between watch string is identical thats why there is change in the spacing from sting to string. You might think it's kinda tight I did too but it's actually really comfortable to play.
Bass weighs in at 5kg
Original brown tolex case
Included are the std model knobs which are like new [/size]
[size=2]This is one of my dearest instruments I'm putting on the block, I wont sell it for cheap, but I can guarantee is worth every penny as it is holy grail territory stuff or something sounds like sales talk I know but I mean it. [/size]
[/quote]

Asking somewhat less than he did, I pulled the trigger knowing I had too many basses for someone not actively gigging.

Here's a few photos. Some cropping weirdness that I can't fix as am busy, but shows the woods. Lovely woods imo. New photos at [url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxbw7prrsve8fje/AACQcmBZbH-lr-FmdSzdlBaJa?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox....mdSzdlBaJa?dl=0[/url]

Edited by nobody's prefect

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...