Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz 6.0 & 6.2

FuNkShUi

Guest monsterthompson

I own a 9.0, but haven't done a side-by-side. On talkbass, the general notion is that the 9.0 vs the 9.2 is a subtle tone difference at best, with the main difference being in the three tone shape buttons, making the mid-cut more subtle. The power management supposedly allows for a bit more oomph, but nothing drastic. The 9.0 and the 6.0 were supposedly voiced differently and the 6.2 is closer to the 9.2, which is similar to the 9.0 (as I mentioned already). I'm interested in the impressions of those here.

I have a 3.0, a 6.0 and a 9.2 shuttlemax, they are all different but all similar to me, clean as hell through to quite a bit of grit but its not an ampeg. Someone was trying to tell me the 9.2 had loads more bottom end than the 9.0 but I pointed out that they were using a cheap 8 ohm 2x10 to compare them, I tried to point out that my 6.0 into the 4 ohm 600 watt 2x12 cab (they are quite a large cab too) would blitz a 9.2 into that cab (insert any other decent amp for the same result). I'd have either if the price was right, I have the 6.0 1x12 combo and a mate has the 6.2 1x12 combo, I cant tell any difference in a band mix but I haven't had a chance to compare them in isolation.

Edit to say it Sounds condescending regarding the cheap cab, to clarify the person stated it at the time and was waiting for a barefaced if I recall? It was a few years ago now.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Yes report back, I would like to hear what you think of it :) I think my Genz 1x12" is past its best to be honest, I have treated it poorly :( as I use that cab with my 6.0 it has become my least liked Genz amp preffering my 3.0 with the 1x10 or the 9.2 with the 2x12, I need to check it out and maybe get a new driver for it really.

Thats the theory but I dont find that the 9.2 has any more depth than my 6.0 or even the 3.0 regardless of which cab I use, without having them together with the same cab its hard to say if it adds much imo, the preamps are all quite different in my three heads though and they never did a 3.2 so I'd like to compare them, the 3.0 FET only, 6.0 valve only, shuttlemax is twin channel with one of each but it has more knobs to fiddle with, in fact I've never seen so many knobs on an amp as my shuttlemax :lol:

Love my 6.0. The only issue I have with it is the valve doesn't seem to be mounted very securely. Tone has been reduced to a quiet distorted fart on a few occasions and I thought it was blowing valves as a swap cured it. After a couple of times it occurred to me to just reseat the valve that was in there and lo and behold, all sorted. Probably junked a few good valves before I realised that!

Love the amp though, sounds great and power to spare.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1413894007' post='2583191']
Love my 6.0. The only issue I have with it is the valve doesn't seem to be mounted very securely. Tone has been reduced to a quiet distorted fart on a few occasions and I thought it was blowing valves as a swap cured it. After a couple of times it occurred to me to just reseat the valve that was in there and lo and behold, all sorted. Probably junked a few good valves before I realised that!

Love the amp though, sounds great and power to spare.
[/quote]
Hasn't it got a litlle bracket to hold it?