Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumbs, Why?

Pinball

Thumbs look very different and seem to get a lot of respect on here. Can someone explain whats special about them to someone who has never seen, heard or played one before-thats me :)
Are they light weight, distinctive sound or just very good
Go on sell it me!

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1413436689' post='2578197']
Are they light weight
[/quote]
No :-D
Thumbs may be small in body, but the density of the woods generally makes them deceptively heavy

distinctive sound
[/quote]
Yes! Warwicks have a 'sound', but the Thumb is the most Warwicky if them all IMO - it really has that growl
or just very good
[/quote]
That's a matter of opinion. Very well built, that's for sure. It you like the aforementioned core tone, then great. The small upper horn and small body can lead to neck dive. Also, it looked silly on my large frame.
It's a great quality bass, but only you can tell if it's right for you.

You'd never confuse the tone of a Thumb with that of a P or J bass.

[size=4]You'd never confuse the look of a Thumb with that of a Fender derivative bass. [/size]

[size=4]You'd never confuse the build quality of a Thumb with that of a Fender bass. [/size]

[size=4]Those three aspects alone will polarise opinion and those that like them 'love' them, those that don't... generally hate them! :lol:[/size]

I've owned a few NT Thumbs and never had neck dive and I think the sound suits some music superbly, do I own one now.... no. I find the small body/top horn means that the first position is just too much of a stretch 'with my strap length'. Some folks never have the same problem as me.

I have one a 85NT - the reach and balance take a bit of fiddling to get to a place where it balances... mine is just under 9lb I think so not heavy but not light.
but the sound is amazing.
I don't know how to describe the sound, it's punchy and funky but is heavy and can rock - it's got the grind growly mids and a sweet top end. Like Wariwckhunt says you won't confuse it for a P bass. Think if a stingray is one step from a Fender bass..... well the thumb is the step after it....

I tried the same model of Ibenez SR in a shop, it's the one with the wenge neck isn't it? It's a similar kind of ballpark, but with a bigger fatter sound from warwick's pickup placement.

Something always worth remembering with any Warwick bass is that HP Wilfer can't play a dang note on a bass!

He designed the intruments first and foremost on ergonomics, just as a good engineer would.

The Thumb bass is a triumph of ergonomic design, small bodied means the heft of the wood is kept as low as possible (it still weighs a lot!), concave body so it sits on the belly in the perfect position, perfect pickup placement for the tone he wanted to hear etc etc.

The only real issues with them are the neck dive on the bolt-on's (the NT models don't have this and came first) and the aesthetics that many don't like.

I personally love them, my favourite Warwick bass by a mile.

A good friend of mine has a Broadneck 5 string, from the days when it was a standard option rather than an astronomically expensive custom shop job. It's an astounding instrument to play - it truly feels like it has been hewn from some ancient oak tree, extrememely vibrant and responsive to play, although heavy and somewhat eceentrically balanced. It sounds like a Thumb and that has proven to be a bit of a marmite thing over the years but to my mind it's an absolute classic and one I would love to own one day.

I own a Warwick Thumb BO 6 and it certainly rocks! Others already mentioned the Thumb is the fundamental "sound" of Warwick. Once you play a Warwick Thumb, you will be able to identify one in any song. My Thumb has also been my go-to instrument when I've gone to jam with other musicians.

They are NOT light by any stretch. Mine is about 11Lbs. I counter the weight with a nice wide strap to distribute the weight more evenly across my shoulder. My strap also has a rough suede back so it stays in place on my shoulder. I've always worn my basses high, so that also counters neckdive which others have already indicated. As for the neckdive, you may also look into the Warwick Streamer or Corvette.

Had a couple of NT Thumbs over the years, a four and a five fretless (that I had fretted). Both were 1990 built instruments.

As a fretless, the five absolutely oozed mwah. Amazing barking mids. Without doubt, the best fretless tone I've ever heard. I had it fretted because it wasn't getting played in the band I was in at the time. Unsurprisingly, it became a fabulous tone monster fretted bass.

As already said, they have a truly unique woody mid focused tone, very identifiable. It is quite "marmite" though, you either love it or hate it, usually nothing in between.

Regarding the balance issues, I found getting a Comfort Strapp sorted out mine. The grip that the neoprene gives really helps stop the bass slipping round.

T

[quote name='TolerancEJ' timestamp='1413485307' post='2578837']
I own a Warwick Thumb BO 6 and it certainly rocks! Others already mentioned the Thumb is the fundamental "sound" of Warwick. Once you play a Warwick Thumb, you will be able to identify one in any song. My Thumb has also been my go-to instrument when I've gone to jam with other musicians.

They are NOT light by any stretch. Mine is about 11Lbs. I counter the weight with a nice wide strap to distribute the weight more evenly across my shoulder. My strap also has a rough suede back so it stays in place on my shoulder. I've always worn my basses high, so that also counters neckdive which others have already indicated. As for the neckdive, you may also look into the Warwick Streamer or Corvette.
[/quote]

The wide strap is a MUST for a thumb, with the neck through it distributes the weight nicely and with a bolt on a good padded wide strap can combat the neck dive.

I agree with all of the above.
The Thumb is an amazing instrument, a true evolution in bass guitar.
I had a BO 5 years back and it was my main bass for a long time, used it on a lot of recording where it was always magnificent, live it cut through effortlessly too.
My only problem was a side effect of the small body, the reach to first position was just too far for a bloke of my stature, at 5 foot 6, tall folks probably wouldn't struggle much at all though.
I used to have to wear the bass quite low in order to make it comfortable live, but then you have to compromise your playing hand's position, which is why I eventually moved it on.
I only wish I'd ordered a 32" scale one before the custom shop prices went insane.

Eude

[quote name='Turk' timestamp='1413492244' post='2578955']
Only one I've played was for sale many moons ago in of the smaller shops in Denmark Street, London. A kind of pink colour. Previous owner was some bloke called Cass Lewis.
[/quote]

Small world, I had a rattle on that bass too.

I didn't buy it but did eventually end with a Thumb NT4 which I still own. Sounds great, looks great, plays great...

Every one should try a Thumb.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1413564630' post='2579696']
[b][u]Small world, I had a rattle on that bass too.[/u][/b]

I didn't buy it but did eventually end with a Thumb NT4 which I still own. Sounds great, looks great, plays great...

Every one should try a Thumb.
[/quote]

I'm trying to remember when it was. I'm thinking maybe '88 - '89. Any idea ?

Thumb Bass is the Warwick Bass :)

I play 2 Thumbs a 1989 5 str fretted and a 1993 6 str fretless
With its long thin necktrough wenge neck, the 5er has a "very rare" low B. This neck design and bridge position for the 2 Jazz pickups really make the difference.

It has to be the design...

To my shame, I've never tried a real one, but I made our band's 'main' bassist (I'm the spare) a tribute to Jack Bruce's fabulous Warwick signature fretless. I am sure my building skills are not a patch on Warwick's and the EQ is a Seymour Duncan 3 stage rather than an MEC, but the rest of the materials and hardware are pretty much the same.

It feels divine on the strap. As others have said, the body is really small but the bubinga weighs a tonne so it balances beautifully (mine's a thru-neck). The curve of the body makes it sit just right and the fretboard and neck is like playing a top quality cello.

Added to that, even with the SD EQ, it sounds - what's the word - wholesome! Has to be the density of the wood (yup, I know...the wood can't make a discernible difference,etc,etc).

I can only assume a real Warwick Thumb 4 NT fretless is a world-beater. As they say, what's good enough for Jack...

My poor attempt at a tribute is here:

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1413584688' post='2580000']
Okay, the headstock may be a little wonky, but otherwise that looks fantastic!!
[/quote]

Just making sure no one could ever try to pass it off as the real thing....

Mind you, Pete, who I made it for, is apparently going to have it buried with him :-)

I had a '90 Thumb 5 NT fretted and despite a very good sound I sold it for the following reasons:
- it was definetly neck diving
- it was much to heavy for my back
- the neck construction was very thick even if the string spacing was 17.5mm.
However the sound and overall building and finishing quality was pretty good.
The good think for me it was that this specific bass made me get interested in higher end luthier's basses like Smith, Fodera, Tobias, etc.
Best