Why become a member? ×

Potential Trade - Fender Jazz '75 RI MIJ / CIJ
£700

bassintheface

Hello all,

this is something I've been weighing up for a while.

I have an awesome early 2000's 1975 Reissue Fender Jazz bass - with MIJ on the face of the headstock and CIJ on the base at the rear of the neck. An 'R' serial nr.

It's probably my favorite bass to play except that it's heavy. It leaves me with a seriously sore shoulder after a usual gig of 2.5 hrs or so - week in, week out, so I'm thinking of trading it for something similar but lighter weight.

It's natural with a beautiful grain, maple neck and board, bound. Pearl block markers, tort plate.
I've replaced the Japanese pickups with a pair of Fender USA Jazz bass pickups (now I'll have to check the box when I get home as I'm convinced that they are 1962 vintage / reissue US pickups, but I can't find a link online to say that Fender even made such a set, so I will confirm the model of the actual pickups), although they are deffo USA Fender Jazz pickups!!

I've also replaced the controls with CTS pots and a switch craft jack, plus the bridge has changed to a Gotoh vintage style jazz bridge.....oh, and I had a copper bridge pickup earthing strip added when it had the old pickups in and kept it even when the pickups were changed.

It's a great playing and sounding bass and I actually prefer it to my 74!

I just don't like the weight of it and as I tend to use it as my main bass and can't afford to buy another lighter version, I'm considering offering this up for TRADE.

The only things I will consider trading it for are:

Japanese or US Jazz basses in comparable condition (ie, mint condish), plus they need to be lighter weight.

I'm currently struggling to find many pics, so this one with have to suffice until I can add more later.

[attachment=173919:001.JPG]

Edited by bassintheface

Lovely looking bass you have there :)
I'm after something similar - a Jazz with block inlays
All I have to offer in trade is a Musicman Stingray
.... but that won't be much lighter

Just in case you haven't tried them
There are some fab Squier P & J basses out there
The quality has certainly increased in recent years

Particularly the newer China made Squiers...
I have an Indonesian made P / J bass and it's great (It's one of the Vintage Modified series)
Sounds fab too - but it's a quite a bit lighter in weight than most Fenders I've picked up....

So you might want to give one a try?
Maybe take a look at some for sale on here
They go for a really reasonable amount, given the quality IMHO
That way, you could flog your Jazz and have plenty of cash left over
... or even keep that rather nice Jazz :)

Good luck with your search
Marc

cheers Marc.

I have a stingray anyway, but thanks all the same.

I would basically like an 'everyday giggable' (ie, one I'm not going to worry about being carted in and out of venues every week) Jazz bass, but not as heavy as this beastie.

I could offer this for a cash sale but do need to find something to replace it with quickly, plus I do love it, except for the aching shoulder / neck the morning after a gig!!

I do have a '62RI JV Squier Precision that I could look to sell on and use the £ from that to buy a lighter Jazz, but then I'd be back after a P and this Jazz wouldn't get too much use!

I've already got a '74 that only really gets used at home because the condition is too good to risk in most venues!

What to do?!!!

Cheers.