Why become a member? ×

Wandered into pawn shop and .......

mentalextra

I had a medium scale neck bass a while ago (Gibson EB3) and cos I sing and play and don't get to look at the fretboard much I'd find that I was "missing" notes from time to time. If you're used to long scale and you're not one who looks at the fretboard all the time it might take some getting used to.

However if you have small arms/hands it might be just thing :D

[quote name='DrBike' timestamp='1413551789' post='2579454']
I had a medium scale neck bass a while ago (Gibson EB3) and cos I sing and play and don't get to look at the fretboard much I'd find that I was "missing" notes from time to time. If you're used to long scale and you're not one who looks at the fretboard all the time it might take some getting used to.

However if you have small arms/hands it might be just thing :D
[/quote]
But moving between long and short scale bass is easier than between bass and guitar or double bass and electric bass.

In my experience, you need to just buy things like this when you first see them.

Otherwise you go off and debate it in your head for a couple of days, decide it's definitely worth getting - then go back to the shop and it's gone.

This is not good for your mental stability. Much better to forget that the roof / boiler / car needs fixing and just part with the cash straight away. Formulation of a plan to get it into the house un-noticed is a secondary consideration.

Yes.

To answer the short/long scale question: there are models of each. If you're not sure which it is, take something to measure it with, and whatever it is, frown and fake a little frustration to say you wish it were the other, then make your offer that you can "make do" with it.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1413466544' post='2578506']
...... noticed a Fender Squier 'Jaguar' bass. Had some age to it, looked like it had been played; ie the 'newness' had worn off. The ticket said £99, got a feeling they might take an offer?

But do I [s]need[/s] want it? :unsure:
[/quote]

The answer to this is 'yes, they did take an offer' :unsure:

Yesterday I was shopping in Basildon, popped into Crack Converters 'just to see what's in there', saw a black Squier Jaguar hanging up with a £99 tag and they took my £90 offer for it - would have been rude to leave it behind at that price.

And here am I now catching up with old posts. I saw the title and thought - 'so did I, I wonder what Mentalextra saw?' I guess it is the same one.

In the interests of fair play you can have it if you like - I am only 10 mins further east.

An appraisal - It is the Jaguar VM Special HB model, long scale, MM style pup with 3 band eq. Indonesian (serial no starts ICSxxx), 2011. Same as Nigel's Zulu bass.

I wiped off the worst of the 'mojo', lowered the action a tad but that is it so far - I was rehearsing last night and thought I'd give it a whorl.

First impression was, for this band, it needed to be tamed as it has a high output and the sound was too aggressive. A real middy growl. I was using a GB Streamliner/BF Midget and usually have the gain pushed in and dialled to 12 o'clcock. With this I needed to have the gain off, cut the mids and treble and touch, boost the bass. In the context of my other band, which is a bit rockier, that aggressive middier tone and growl is going to sound great. The neck is a joy (once I get the sticker glue off it properly) and the bass really comfortable.

As I say, if you would like it you can have it for £90. If not I'll keep it as I think for the money it is a remarkably good and usable bass.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1413563935' post='2579688'] But moving between long and short scale bass is easier than between bass and guitar or double bass and electric bass. [/quote]
What is this guitar thing that you speak of? :)

• 2 weeks later...