Why become a member? ×

Brazilian girl sent home trying to see Level 42 in UK

blunderthumbs

This is terrible and shameful. A young teenager has been saving up for over a year to travel from Brazil to the UK to see her favourite band
Level 42. She had tickets for the York gig 15th and Newcastle gig this Friday 17th.
Upon arrival at Heathrow she was pounced upon by customs who didn't believe she had travelled all that way just to see a band
so they put her in Colnbroke detention centre and sent her back on the next available flight.
Phil Gould, Mike Lindup, Level 42's management and lots of Facebook L42 followers tried to get the authorities to reverse their decision
but to no avail. She has now arrived back home very upset and tired after her ordeal.
If you want to follow her plight and show some support you can visit the ULIMATE LEVEL 42 facebook page.
We are trying to arrange for her to get back over here or Europe to fulfil her dream of seeing her favourite band.
Any ideas would be welcome. A ticket for her to see them in Italy has already been donated by a kind follower.
Her name is Zani Cruz.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413469630' post='2578559']
If she didn't have the right papers, then surely that is the job that immigration officers are supposed to do, isn't it?
[/quote]

This... I very much doubt they would have detained her if she had all the correct papers.

Also, how young was she? can't see that a young teenage girl on her own wandering round the country is a very good idea anyway....

Edited by CamdenRob

[sup]Lucky escape if you ask me... ;) [/sup]
Only joking, I accept Mr King for the bass god he undoubtely is. I once went to New Orleans in the 90's predominantly to see Deep Purple play 2 House of Blues shows. And we got backstage passes.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='blunderthumbs' timestamp='1413471378' post='2578588']
Who said she didn't have the right papers?
[/quote]

Indeed. She'd have been foolish to do so,
and I'm sure this was not the case - or the OP would have mentioned it

If she saved hard, I'm sure she would have had a ticket
.... this may have been the vital clue that customs missed......

[quote name='blunderthumbs' timestamp='1413471378' post='2578588']
Who said she didn't have the right papers?
[/quote]

Ok, why didn't they allow her in then..?

They would have to have and give a reason.
My friend has a Brazilian wife and she is fine getting in, her family is not.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1413469958' post='2578568']
This... I very much doubt they would have detained her if she had all the correct papers.

[b]Also, how young was she? can't see that a young teenage girl on her own wandering round the country is a very good idea anyway[/b]....
[/quote]

It is a known trafficking trick altho the children are much younger.
They get smuggled on boats and then when they are picked up... as intended, the choice is either to send the child back or send for the parents who just happen to be waiting in Calais etc ..

But, altho it doesn't sound at all likely that this is the case in the OP... the onus is on the traveller to proove they need/have a right to be in the country and then whether the Control point believes them.
On the face of it...it does sound harsh, but then we don't know if there is any other side to the story.
and the immigration process is there to stop that

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413481706' post='2578754']

Er, that's what 'off topic' is for isn't it? ;)
[/quote]
No we all have to say what a shame it is for twelve pages regardless of her possibly bring a twenty three year old teenager that the UK immigration must have had at least some reason to return her to Brazil :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413480286' post='2578719']
Sounds like UKIP have nothing to worry about then . . . :ph34r:
[/quote]

LOL!..

Something seems a little off though. And what young lass says there fav band is L42???. If i was a customs officer, i would of been like no way!. I think if she had been coming over to see a modern band with a younger audience she would of got in.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1413481387' post='2578745']
Brilliant idea. Let's all take sides without knowing all the facts and have a heated debate! :)
[/quote]

not heated for me. .. Couldn't care less either way to be honest. . Harsh possibly but my true thoughts.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1413482422' post='2578769']

LOL!..

Something seems a little off though. And what young lass says there fav band is L42???. If i was a customs officer, i would of been like no way!. I think if she had been coming over to see a modern band with a younger audience she would of got in.
[/quote]

I'm a big hendrix fan. . He died 4 years before I was born

Very strange, something doesn't really add up here, I can't believe UK border controls would be that harsh... also her Facebook/twitter saying she's 23 doesn't mean she is, and if she was like 13 and here on her own that would look a bit odd(for a start would she even have been old enough to get into the gig..?)

On the flipside, I'm 23(massive L42 fan incidentally, rather jealous of my younger brother getting to see them in York) and going to Brasil on my own in January to meet up with my girlfriend and hopefully play a gig or two, I very much doubt I'll get similar treatment at customs there.

I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye, it's very easy to jump to conclusions over this kinda thing.