Why become a member? ×

Brazilian girl sent home trying to see Level 42 in UK

blunderthumbs

It's fair to say that nobody here knows the full story of why she was sent back to Brazil. Maybe the truth will out in due course.

But what's interesting is that here we are, a community of alleged musicians, and yet rather than raising a toast to the "rock'n'roll" spirit of her (mis)adventure... we appear instead to be wagging a finger from behind the desk of bureaucracy.

I find [i]THAT[/i] far more interesting than the story itself.

Is rock'n'roll dead? In spirit amongst some of us here, it would seem so.

Right, back to my spreadsheets... ;)

A vote for finger wagging bureaucracy here I'm afraid... You can't ignore border control laws because of someones "rock n roll spirit" that's ridiculous... whats next, letting someone into the country with no paperwork because they seem like a jolly nice chap?

No-one knows exactly what happened here, there is definitely more to this.. it's the usual sensationalist reporting because it's a young girl involved... would be an absolute non story if this was a middle aged man.

Edited by CamdenRob

What I find interesting is that immigration officials seem to have the ultimate decision to admit someone to the country, even if all their paperwork is completely in order, without needing any supporting evidence for any suspicion they may have about motives.

I guess I'd never really thought about it like that before.

I'm not a 'Facebook' person, and know no more than anyone (and far less than many..!) on this particular story. For those in the 'bureaucracy' camp, I would, however, recommend the works of Kafka; more especially 'The Trial' and his short stories, such as 'In The Penal Colony'. For this last suggestion, there is a Zappa piece which heightens the reading (from the album 'We're only in it for the money'...). Maybe some of you will be confronted one day with Authority. Here is a short film version; enjoy...

[media]http://youtu.be/StwAGxbPxlU[/media]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1413537608' post='2579196']
You can't ignore border control laws because of someones "rock n roll spirit" that's ridiculous... whats next, letting someone into the country with no paperwork because they seem like a jolly nice chap?[/quote]

I'm not saying we should, of course. Border controls exist for good reason.

I'm just surprised at the dearth of sympathy on display - assuming that she had traveled all that way to watch her favourite band. Which I like to assume, given that we don't know for certain either way.

That's not to say that her paperwork was in order. Something was obviously amiss for her to be sent packing. But it's interesting how quickly some of us jump to the assumption that she's a ne'er-do-well - when she may just as equally be a passionate music fan who missed ticking a box on her holiday visa.

Glass half full or empty, I suppose. Personally, I'm of the half full persuasion. But to each his own.

And besides, I skipped all kinds of rules and regulations going to gigs as a teenager - let alone as a young 20-something. So the idea of going to such extremes to watch your favourite band doesn't seem so alien to me. Although I never got as far as Brazil... Birmingham perhaps, but that was alien enough at the time ;)

Edited by Skol303

On the subject of migration... over half the world's population would migrate if it could
and IF you accept that the U.S plus Europe were the desired destinations for the chance of a better life.

The current world map can't afford that so on the one hand you have a mass desire to
move and you HAVE to have a mass resistance for that change as well.
70 million in the UK is a very large total in regard to a lifestyle as we know it so sooner or later
someone is going to have to stand up and say it can't go on.

No one is willing to give up their slice of the cake ...or rather re-distrubute that cake.
The last economic crisis has shown that all too well.

Nothing to do with the OP though....??

OK then, here's a Brazilian Shorthair after having received mentioned Close Shave.
Dunno why you need pics of it, but there you are.
:D

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Brazilianshorthairaftercloseshave_zpsaff680b6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/Brazilianshorthairaftercloseshave_zpsaff680b6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1413545661' post='2579349']
OK then, here's a Brazilian Shorthair after having received mentioned Close Shave.

[url="http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Brazilianshorthairaftercloseshave_zpsaff680b6.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Good grief!, I wished I never arsed.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1413539287' post='2579230']
I'm not saying we should, of course. Border controls exist for good reason.

I'm just surprised at the dearth of sympathy on display - assuming that she had traveled all that way to watch her favourite band. Which I like to assume, given that we don't know for certain either way.

That's not to say that her paperwork was in order. Something was obviously amiss for her to be sent packing. But it's interesting how quickly some of us jump to the assumption that she's a ne'er-do-well - when she may just as equally be a passionate music fan who missed ticking a box on her holiday visa.

Glass half full or empty, I suppose. Personally, I'm of the half full persuasion. But to each his own.

And besides, I skipped all kinds of rules and regulations going to gigs as a teenager - let alone as a young 20-something. So the idea of going to such extremes to watch your favourite band doesn't seem so alien to me. Although I never got as far as Brazil... Birmingham perhaps, but that was alien enough at the time ;)
[/quote]

Sympathy for what though, mate? No-one knows what to be sympathetic with apart from what they can assume from twitter and the OP.

[url="http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Brazilianshorthairaftercloseshave_zpsaff680b6.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Is that the Readers' Wives pose?

[/quote]

I'm glad we finally got to the bottom of it.

Edited by discreet

The only thing on TV at 5 in the morning seems to be the customs programmes. Usually it is Australia, USA or here in the UK, it seems lots of people have stories of woe, but get caught out on a few details, and gets kicked out of the country. I have to say that watching a music concert is a new one for me. I have seen some where they have a plausible story, and see no reason until the dodgy diary surfaces of contacts for work etc. It always amazes me why scammers have these diaries etc.
Not saying she has done anything wrong, but as no one here was in the room when she was refused, it is all speculation. If she was genuine, then it seems a real shame. Just get up early one morning in 2 years time, and the real truth will come out on UK Border Control, shown on sky one at 5 am