Why become a member? ×

Brazilian girl sent home trying to see Level 42 in UK

blunderthumbs

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413541580' post='2579267']
On the subject of migration... over half the world's population would migrate if it could
and IF you accept that the U.S plus Europe were the desired destinations for the chance of a better life.

The current world map can't afford that so on the one hand you have a mass desire to
move and you HAVE to have a mass resistance for that change as well.
70 million in the UK is a very large total in regard to a lifestyle as we know it so sooner or later
someone is going to have to stand up and say it can't go on.

No one is willing to give up their slice of the cake ...or rather re-distrubute that cake.
The last economic crisis has shown that all too well.

[/quote]

Yes, these are the gradually pressures building up, and a rising global population is not going to help, unpleasant though the implications may be - which may be nothing to do with a dislike of foreigners as such, just rooted in a basic desire not to reduce our own standards of living by dilution.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1413547641' post='2579387']
She's a traveller. If she is on holiday over here, whether that's to go to museums or see bands, that is irrelevant. There must have been something weird going on for her to be sent back to Brasil, surely.
[/quote]

That's my take on it as well . . . . in the absence of the full story.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1413558912' post='2579587']
That's my take on it as well . . . . in the absence of the full story.
[/quote]

It may have just been a stupid mistake by our border security, who knows, then we'll know the instinctive sympathy was deserved. In which case, as usual because of all the publicity, Mark King will pay for her to fly back over, she'll see a gig from the front row, get invited backstage to meet the band, get drunk, and no doubt get stuck to Seat 38 on Phydeaux III

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1413539287' post='2579230']
I'm just surprised at the dearth of sympathy on display
[/quote]

I'm not.

Level 42 > Mark King > BC's Most Hated > Lack of sympathy.

If she'd come here to see Rush these pages would be simultaneously awash with lachrymose bleating and ablaze with righteous rage; this combination resulting in a sort of damp, smokiness, rather as an autumn bonfire pervades the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.

With this in mind, here are some filling and satisfying recipes for when the nights draw in - [url="http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/top-20-autumn"]Top 20 autumn recipes - BBC Good Food[/url]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413564288' post='2579693']
I'm not.

Level 42 > Mark King > BC's Most Hated > Lack of sympathy.

If she'd come here to see Rush these pages would be simultaneously awash with lachrymose bleating and ablaze with righteous rage; this combination resulting in a sort of damp, smokiness, rather as an autumn bonfire pervades the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness.
[/quote]

Wouldn't make any difference to me, but I wonder if there is an element of truth in your jest.

I hate them both... :lol: :lol: well, I don't actually HATE L42....

I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed of not knowing who either Rush or Level 42 are. :blush:[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size][size=4]Later than the Grateful Dead is way too modern for me. :rolleyes: Thanks for the recipes, though; very handy as winter draws on. :)[/size]

Immigration officers work in mysterious ways it seems.

My brothers goddaughter - British - met a lad whilst at college in the USA, and they were engaged after 2 years of dating. She finished Uni inn the USA and came home, and he followed later, for a 4 week holiday, before he needed to return to the US to take up a coveted job at the Uni as a teaching assistant.

Arrives at Heathrow wearing a Premier League football shirt and carrying a rucksack, gets pulled in for interview. Explains the situation - engaged, holiday, staying with fiancee's family, has a job he has to go back to take up etc.

They searched his stuff, then quizzed him on how much money he had with him, and he showed them his £500 in cash. Result : You can't survive on £500 for 4 weeks, so straight back on the plane home. Not allowed to call fiancee who was waiting in arrivals about 100 yards away, no attempt to contact her parents (who were with her) to confirm that he was indeed their guest and would need no money for hotels etc. 2 hours later he was back on the plane home (and denied entry to the UK for 12 months I believe).

That was 7 years ago. They are now married and live in the USA, where she is a citizen.

Clearly, we can all suggest there must be more to it, but I can assure all readers, he's the nicest, straightest, cleverest, most honest lad, and least likely 'dodgy tourist' you could hope to meet. Doesn't even drink or smoke and has very respectful 'southern' manners and certainly wouldn't have given them any lip. All a bit random, but thats how it works it seems.

How odd. Who goes abroad these days with all the cash they need to survive for the duration in their back pocket. Have immigration officers never heard of cash machines and bank cards?

I once had a minor hiccup trying to get into America at Washington DC. It was a business trip and I had given the company office address as my place of residence because I didn't know which hotel they had booked me into until I arrived at the office. The immigration guy spotted it was a company address (probably from my record of going there 5 or 6 times a year!) and wouldn't accept it.

I explained that I would only know the hotel they had booked for me when I got to the office but he wouldn't accept it and said they needed an address where I could be contacted if necessary. So I said they could always contact me through the company office wherever I happened to be, but I was told it had to be a residential address. So I asked what happens if I check out of my hotel after one night and how could you contact me then . . . at which point he looked very serious and asked me if that was my intention!

Knowing that these guys are not to be joked with, I assured him this was not the case and asked if I could call the office for the hotel detail, which he allowed and all was well. But I reckon I could have said any hotel because they can't check every hotel booking in the country . . . Or can they? And even then, I could easily check out and disappear if that was my intention, so it's one of those examples of strict bureaucracy that isn't really fit for purpose in the first place.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1413592130' post='2580060']
Immigration officers work in mysterious ways it seems.

My brothers goddaughter - British - met a lad whilst at college in the USA, and they were engaged after 2 years of dating. She finished Uni inn the USA and came home, and he followed later, for a 4 week holiday, before he needed to return to the US to take up a coveted job at the Uni as a teaching assistant.

Arrives at Heathrow wearing a Premier League football shirt and carrying a rucksack, gets pulled in for interview. Explains the situation - engaged, holiday, staying with fiancee's family, has a job he has to go back to take up etc.

They searched his stuff, then quizzed him on how much money he had with him, and he showed them his £500 in cash. Result : You can't survive on £500 for 4 weeks, so straight back on the plane home. Not allowed to call fiancee who was waiting in arrivals about 100 yards away, no attempt to contact her parents (who were with her) to confirm that he was indeed their guest and would need no money for hotels etc. 2 hours later he was back on the plane home (and denied entry to the UK for 12 months I believe).

That was 7 years ago. They are now married and live in the USA, where she is a citizen.

Clearly, we can all suggest there must be more to it, but I can assure all readers, he's the nicest, straightest, cleverest, most honest lad, and least likely 'dodgy tourist' you could hope to meet. Doesn't even drink or smoke and has very respectful 'southern' manners and certainly wouldn't have given them any lip. All a bit random, but thats how it works it seems.
[/quote]

Ah... But was he a level 42 fan?

Wasn't all paperwork tho was it? ...this was in person.
I am surprised they didn't allow contact to the person she was supposed to be staying with...etc etc
as happened in a case of my friend's wife's brother.. or maybe they did. We don't know.

I think the onus should be on the person to provide proof but then again we in the U.K don't even
have ID on us abroad. We might carry CC's ..if that is acceptable, but we don't carry our passports.

I am sure this sort of thing happens at our ports and airports a lot more than we think. Such is the U.K
a desirable asylum destination..or simply for illegalblack market working.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1413619480' post='2580133']

I think the onus should be on the person to provide proof but then again we in the U.K don't even
have ID on us abroad. We might carry CC's ..if that is acceptable, but we don't carry our passports.

[/quote]

This reminded me of a trip to Brooklyn about 5 years ago. We were staying at the Marriott and the lady at the front desk was renting us a safe deposit box, in which were going a number of things, plus passports and drivers licences. She asked us, having filled our deposit box, what we had kept for ID? Basically, nothing beyond credit cards was the answer, and she looked at us as if we were nuts before asking a very pertinent question : if you are in an accident, how is anyone going to know who you are, and most importantly, if you are insured? It just hadn't occurred to us. She insisted we take a photocopy of both our passports and our travel insurance documents, plus her business card, with the originals going in the SDB.

Apparently, whilst Broolyn is much safer and smarter than it was, since Cunard built the big dock for the QM2 at Redhook, which is very rough, there had been an influx of thieves targeting the naive and generally pretty wealthy Brits who got off the boats. Consequently care was required, and you do stand out a it in Brooklyn if you are a 200lb, 6ft plus pale and gingery white guy, as the locals are mostly African American or Latino (they tended to assume I was Irish, which was interesting, as I'm not). Have to say we had no trouble - apart from the sh*t wet weather, and really liked it. Definitely an up and coming area, where you can still buy property for something approaching only mildly daft, and lots of funky privately owned businesses including some great live music bars.

Yes, that's a good point about the importance of ID when abroad, something that's easy for Brits to overlook because we seem to be quite relaxed about it at home.

As an adjunct to my previous story about giving a hotel address while in the US, yet being able to simply check out without letting anyone know, I almost had a problem last year in the US when stopped for speeding in North Carolina. I had entered the US in Washington DC and gave a friend's address as where I was staying. No problem. But during my trip I drove down to NC where I was stopped for speeding and when the cop ( state trooper actually) checked my details he saw that I was from out of state, which apparently meant he could not give me a ticket and would have to arrest me to ensure I paid the fine . . . And no, I could not pay him there and then.

I explained that I was already booked into a NC hotel ( actually less than a mile from where I was stopped) and he told me to wait in the car while he checked. He went back to his car for 5 minutes leaving me pondering what NC jails were like but when he returned he told me he had updated my address record to the NC hotel and handed me a ticket - actually a court summons with a hearing date, but with the option to pay a fine instead. So I guess he wasn't all bad ;)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1413623095' post='2580202']
How bizarre. I flew to Brazil with the intention of avoiding that same gig. And I got deported back to Blighty - what are the odds?
[/quote]
Ah yes, but did you tell the nice immigration chaps that you had flown in especially to see this lot by any chance? :lol:

[media]http://youtu.be/iuj50siaoVc[/media]

Edited by BetaFunk

Some impressive trust in authority on display in this thread.

Customs and Border Control can do pretty much whatever they want for whatever reason they want and just because your papers are in order doesn't mean they're going to let you in.

No idea what the full story is here but the assumption that UK customs are nice chaps who always apply the rules correctly is quite amusing.