Why become a member? ×

Effects for fretless bass...

Jigster

Hi all, I'm sure there's a thread lurking somewhere that's covered this, but needle in a haystack methinks.

So a simple question, what do people use when playing fretless? I'm coming to the conclusion it's probably a sound that's best left natural, BUT at a push, perhaps a touch of chorus, and a touch of reverb??

Any thoughts?

If I still played, I was going to go for a fretless & put it through an octaver, murf, distortion, low pass filter & chorus. But I was playing electronica & folk.
So depending on what sort of music you play & what sort of sound you want to produce, it varies greatly.
If you're not sure, get a multi fx unit to play about with different effects.

some good suggestions above - at various times depending on bass and set I have used touch of chorus, occasionally flange, rarely octaver, always compression and increasingly my TC HOF mini reverb with various toneprints (I love the size and functionality of the mini toneprint pedals).

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1413476228' post='2578663']
bit of delay and a boss bass chorus set with with the chorus sweep affecting frequencies from th e open G upwards sort of range
[/quote]
This works for me also and don't forget a bit of compression too.

• 2 weeks later...

Boss bass limiter/ enhancer to bring out the "mwaaaaahhhh" - great for my fretless, still got to find a setting on it I like for my fretted basses. Tried a Boss bass chorus and just personally didn't like it so sold it on. Boss digital delay works nicely with it too. I use my fretless for heavier music too so distortion and fuzz (EHX Bass Blogger being the current weapon of choice) does very nicely

• 1 month later...

octave box on fretless was fun in the 80's, for sure... never use compression, you'll lose the expressiveness that makes playing fretless so rewarding. I don't use any effects on my fretted or fretless, save for a little reverb on a recorded solo. You've all you need with 8 fingers and 2 thumbs (hopefully :-))